Preserved lemons are a great way to add flavour to any dish.
You will need 1L of lemon juice on top of the 18 lemons being preserved in this recipe. If you don’t have enough lemons for this, use 1L of boiling water.
|Makes:||3 large jars|
|Fresh from the garden:||Bay leaves, lemons|
If you’re missing a thing or two, tick the items you need to add to your shopping list.
What to do
1. Prepare all of the ingredients based on the instructions in the ingredients list.
2. Cut the lemons into quarters, leaving the last centimetre uncut so the lemon quarters remain attached.
3. Stuff each lemon with a heaped teaspoon of rock salt.
4. Squash the stuffed lemons into the jars.
5. Add 1 teaspoon coriander seeds, 1 bay leaf and 1 cinnamon stick to each jar.
6. Cover the lemons with lemon juice or boiling water (they should be fully covered).
7. Leave for 6 weeks in a dark place before using.
* To sterilise jars and lids, wash them in hot soapy water, then rinse them in hot water. Place in a stockpot of boiling water for at least 10 minutes. Drain jars upside down on a clean tea towel and dry them thoroughly in a 150°C oven. Remove the jars from the oven and fill while still hot.