1 medium brown onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pumpkin (around 750 g) peeled, deseeded and cubed
1 large potato, peeled and cubed
4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cumin
¼ cup low-fat natural yoghurt, to serve
1. In a large pot, heat the oil and cook the onion and garlic over low heat.
2. Add the pumpkin, potato, stock and spices. Bring to the boil.
3. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the pumpkin and potato are tender.
4. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Puree in a blender until smoothe
5. Season with salt and pepper if desired, add a dollop of yogurt and serve with thick, crusty bread.
For extra rich flavour, you can roast the pumpkin and potatoes first, then blend with the stock.
To change things up, replace the yogurt with ¼ cup coconut milk and heat through.