Aubergine with black garlic recipe
Veggie genius Yotam Ottolenghi shares a seriously succulent, chilli-infused eggplant dish.
If you’re missing a thing or two, tick the items you need to add to your shopping list.
What to do
1. Preheat the oven to 250°C/230°C Fan/Gas Mark 9 (or to its highest setting).
2. Place the aubergine rounds in a large bowl with 60 ml of the olive oil, ½ teaspoon of salt and a good grind of black pepper. Mix well and spread out on 2 large baking trays lined with greaseproof paper. Roast in the oven until golden-brown and completely soft about 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
3. Place the black garlic cloves in the small bowl of a food processor with a teaspoon of salt, 2 tablespoons of oil, 2 tablespoons of yoghurt and the lemon juice. Blitz for a minute, to form a rough paste, and then transfer to a medium bowl. Mix through the rest of the yoghurt and keep in the fridge until needed.
4. Heat the remaining 110 ml of oil in a small saucepan on a high heat. Add the garlic and chilli slices, reduce the heat to medium and fry for about 5 minutes, stirring from time to time, until the garlic is golden-brown and the chilli is crispy. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the garlic and chilli on to a kitchen paper-lined plate.
5. Arrange the aubergine slices, overlapping, on a platter. Spoon the yoghurt sauce on top, sprinkle over the chilli and garlic and finish with the herbs.
Recipe from Plenty More by Yotam Ottolenghi. (Ebury Press, $49.99) Photography by Jonathan Lovekin
Prawn ravioli recipe from Sofia and Isabella BlissRead more
Isabella and Sofia Bliss share love of cookingRead more