How to make pancakes
Pancakes can be as simple or as fancy as you like. Here's a basic pancake recipe to get you started.
This is a great, classic base for your pancake mix. Once you feel confident with this you can vary it to your heart's content - try using buckwheat flour or whole-wheat flour to increase the fibre content, mix in some chia seeds, oats or pumpkin seeds for a nutritious boost, or play around with stirring in berries, applesauce or a wide range of other fillings.
If you’re missing a thing or two, tick the items you need to add to your shopping list.
What to do
1. Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat.
2. Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl. Add the beaten eggs, melted butter and milk and whisk together. The mixture should be a pouring consistency.
3. Melt some butter on the pan until it foams and sizzles. Pour ¼ cup of batter onto the pan and cook until the top of the pancake is full of bubbles and the bottom is golden brown.
4. Flip the pancake and cook the other side. About a minute on each side should be all you need.
5. Serve with toppings of your choice.
Pancake topping ideas
This is the fun part! Make your pancakes sweeter or more savoury depending on the toppings you choose. Get creative and mix and match to create your perfect treat.
Some topping ideas include:
- Fresh fruit
- Shredded coconut
- Maple syrup
- Ricotta (or other soft cheese)
- Lemon butter
- Lemon juice
- Fruit puree
Isabella and Sofia Bliss share love of cookingRead more
Prawn ravioli recipe from Sofia and Isabella BlissRead more