Baked eggplant recipe
Serve this dish warm or cold with a side salad of cos lettuce, cucumber and spring onion.
If you’re missing a thing or two, tick the items you need to add to your shopping list.
What to do
1. Sprinkle eggplant halves with salt and set aside for about 30 minutes, then rinse and wipe dry with kitchen paper (this helps remove bitterness). If using whole eggplant make a slit lengthways with sharp knife and gently pull open to expose eggplant pulp.
2. Heat half the olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat then fry the eggplants on both sides. The cut side should be golden. Remove from pan, drain on kitchen paper and set aside to cool.
3. Remove about half the pulp from the cooled eggplant halves with a spoon, then chop and set aside. If using whole eggplant gently remove some pulp, taking care not to tear open the eggplant too much.
4. Add remaining olive oil to frying pan and sautè onion until translucent.
5. Add garlic, eggplant pulp and tomatoes, mix well and bring to a simmer.
6. Add blackcurrants and walnuts, season to taste and stir thoroughly.
7. Arrange reserved eggplant shells in an ovenproof dish, spoon in cooked vegetable mixture. Sprinkle with feta.
8. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
Subscribe to Live Better and receive our 'Healthy Living' recipe book FREE! As well as delicious recipes, food inspiration, offers and promotions straight to your inbox each week.
Isabella and Sofia Bliss share love of cookingRead more
Prawn ravioli recipe from Sofia and Isabella BlissRead more