Potato and rosemary pizza recipe
A classic pizza topping, with rocket and rosemary fresh from the garden.
|Fresh from the garden:||Potatoes, rocket, rosemary|
You can use the basic pizza dough recipe as your base for this pizza.
The potatoes need to be sliced very thinly so that they cook through properly, and this may take some practice. The rocket adds a fresh peppery element to the cooked dish.
Note: If you are using pizza stones, you will first have to assemble each pizza on a light piece of wood (a ‘peel’) or a baking tray. Turn the baking tray upside down prevent the edges stopping the pizza slipping easily onto the preheated stone.
If you’re missing a thing or two, tick the items you need to add to your shopping list.
What to do
Remember to put a damp tea towel under your chopping board to stop it from slipping.
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C.
2. If using pizza stones, place them on a rack in the oven to get very hot.
3. Prepare all of the ingredients based on the instructions in the ingredients list.
4. Rinse the rocket leaves and dry them in the salad spinner.
5. Line a dry tea towel with a piece of kitchen paper to absorb any moisture, spread the rocket over the paper and roll the whole lot up like a log. Keep it in the refrigerator until needed.
6. Place the sliced potatoes into the large bowl and drizzle with most of the oil.
7. Add the rosemary and salt and pepper, then mix together so that all the slices are lightly oiled.
8. Divide the pizza dough into two equal pieces.
9. Sprinkle flour on a clean workbench and roll each piece of dough into a thin pizza base about 25 cm in diameter.
If you are using pizza trays:
1. Sprinkle flour on the trays, then carefully lay the pizza bases on the trays.
2. Arrange the slices of potato on the pizzas, overlapping them.
3. Sprinkle most of the parmesan over the top (keep some aside to serve).
4. Drizzle the rest of the oil over the pizzas, then place the pizzas in the oven.
If you are using pizza stones:
1. Sprinkle flour on the wooden peel or upside-down baking tray. Semolina flour is best for this.
2. Carefully lay each pizza base on the floured peel or baking tray.
3. Arrange the slices of potato on the pizzas, overlapping them.
4. Sprinkle most of the parmesan over the top (keep some aside to serve).
5. Carefully pull out the racks with the very hot pizza stones. (Adult supervision required.)
6. Without touching them (they are very hot!), sprinkle semolina over the pizza stones. Shake the peel or baking tray and slide each pizza onto the stone.
7. Drizzle the rest of the oil over the pizzas, then slide the rack with the pizzas back into the oven.
To bake the pizzas:
1. Bake the pizzas for 15 minutes or until the edges are very crisp and the cheese is bubbling.
2. To get a crispy base on pizzas cooked on pizza trays, slide the pizzas off the trays onto the oven rack for the last few minutes. (Adult supervision required.)
3. Remove the pizzas from the oven. (Adult supervision required.) Transfer them to the serving board with the wide egg lifter.
4. Cut the pizza into slices so there is a slice each for your diners.
5. Serve topped with rocket leaves and the remaining parmesan.
Healthy herb fritters ideal for breakfast, lunch or dinner.Read more