Salad of the imagination recipe
Get creative and mix up your own uniquely delicious salad.
|Fresh from the garden:||beetroot, cabbage, carrot, fennel, peas, herbs|
- Spring: avocado, carrots, cucumber, radish, snow peas
- Summer: capsicum, celery, corn, green beans, tomatoes, zucchini
- Autumn: capsicum, celeriac (grated, raw), mushrooms, onions, tomatoes
- Winter: beetroot (grated raw), cabbage (sliced thinly), carrot, fennel, peas, snow peas
If you’re missing a thing or two, tick the items you need to add to your shopping list.
What to do
1. Assemble your ingredients, thinking about what is in season, which flavours go together and how they will feel in a salad (for example, it’s always nice to have something crunchy along with the soft green leaves).
2. Prepare the leaves and herbs by washing and drying them gently. Tear or snip big leaves into bite-sized pieces and remove any tough stems.
3. To make the dressing use 1 part ‘acid’ (such as lemon juice or vinegar) to 4 parts oil (for example 1 tablespoon of vinegar with 4 tablespoons of oil). Whisk together in a large mixing bowl, then mix in your flavour additions, such as honey, mustard or spices. Add a pinch of salt and pepper, and always taste and adjust as you like.
4. Prepare any other ingredients for your salad, such as croutons, seeds, grated vegetables or eggs. Remember to put a tea towel under your chopping board to stop it from slipping.
5. Tip the leaves into the dressing bowl, then gently turn them in the dressing with tongs or your hands.
6. Serve on a platter and scatter with garnishes, if using.
Tasty fritters with a zesty lime dressingRead more