Tara of Runners Kitchen is a runner with high-energy demands. An advocate for finding fuel in nutritional foods that don’t compromise on flavour, she has created her own range of all natural products.
“My favourite recipe at the moment is a completely allergen-free red curry,” Tara says. “I’ve added an unusual ingredient, Rooibos tea, which adds warmth as well as being a fabulous antioxidant – great for active people in winter. This recipe has been created to meet the carbohydrate needs of the day before a big winter event. I have developed it to be super tasty and allergen-free, so it has no soy, no wheat, no gluten, no dairy, no eggs and no nuts.”
If you’re missing a thing or two, tick the items you need to add to your shopping list.
Who’s doing the shopping?
Send the shopping list straight to their inbox.
What to do
1. Dice pumpkin and carrots.
2. In large saucepan, add the crushed tomatoes and Rooibos tea and cook on medium heat for 10 minutes with the lid on.
3. While that is cooking, in a medium fry pan, add curry paste, fish sauce, brown sugar and lime juice. Put on high heat, stir until ingredients are blended then get chopping.
4. Chop the remaining veggies in 2 cm pieces – we like the colour of red and green in this dish, but you can substitute other vegetables to suit. Put them in your fry pan once it is simmering away nicely. Add the coconut cream last.
5. After the fry pan is simmering away, if you are still waiting for the 10 minutes to go by, it’s a good idea to clean up your work bench and start preparing the table for mealtime. Once the 10 minutes is up, add the beans and the lentils to your pot, stir them in, then give your fry pan a stir to keep the bottom from burning. It should be nicely simmering to reduce, but not boiling. Keep lids on both.
6. Once the vegetables in your saucepan are fully cooked, pour the contents of your fry pan into the larger saucepan and stir through. It should form a rich consistency. Serve the curry with rice.
*To make this recipe vegan simply substitute the fish sauce for a mixture of miso paste and light soy sauce.