Leafy salad recipe
This is the perfect go-to side salad - or a simple base for your own salad creations.
|Fresh from the garden:||Edible flowers, garlic, lemon, mixed salad leaves, mixed soft-leaved herbs|
This recipe should be one of your basic recipes for frequent use. Vary the ingredients according to the season, including leaves and herbs of different shapes and colours, both bitter and sweet. Croutons (such as Turkish bread croutons) can be added.
You can decorate the salad with edible flowers from the garden, such as borage flowers, nasturtium flowers, even young flowers of chives.
Note: Make sure you wash and dry the salad leaves very gently, without bruising them.
If you’re missing a thing or two, tick the items you need to add to your shopping list.
What to do
Remember to put a damp tea towel under your chopping board to stop it from slipping.
1. Prepare all of the ingredients based on the instructions in the ingredients list.
2. To make the classic vinaigrette dressing, place the garlic in the mortar with a pinch of salt, then pound it with the pestle until it becomes a paste.
3. Add the lemon juice to the mortar.
4. Stir in the olive oil and add some pepper, then whisk the dressing lightly to combine.
5. Tip the salad leaves and herbs into the bowl, add the dressing, then very gently turn them in the dressing with tongs or your hands.
6. Serve on platters and scatter with croutons or flower garnishes, if using.
Tasty fritters with a zesty lime dressingRead more