Pear crumble tea cake recipe
The classic tea cake gets a fresh makeover from Thoroughly Nourished Life
Crumble cakes are a hearty dessert just made for a winter’s evening cuddled up with a good book, or gathered around the table with friends. Thick slices of this spiced crumble cake make an excellent morning tea treat too.
If you’re missing a thing or two, tick the items you need to add to your shopping list.
What to do
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease the sides and bottom of a 9-inch cake pan. Line the bottom with a circle of baking paper to make removal easier.
2. Make the crumble first: In a small bowl mix together white rice flour, brown rice flour, almond meal, cinnamon, and brown sugar. Mix in melted butter until large crumbs form. Mix pecan halves through the crumbs. Set aside until needed.
3. In a medium bowl whisk together white rice flour, brown rice flour, almond meal, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and ginger.
4. In a large bowl beat softened butter, brown sugar, and vanilla extract until light and creamy. You can do this with a wooden spoon (work those muscles) or using a handheld mixer.
5. Add eggs and beat until smooth.
6. Add whisked flour in two lots, alternating with the buttermilk.
7. Carefully fold the chopped pear into the batter.
8. Spoon batter into prepared cake pan and smooth the top carefully. Sprinkle crumble mixture over the top.
9. Place into oven and bake for 45-50 minutes or until a wooden skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
10. Cool, slice and enjoy.
Leftovers keep at room temperature in an airtight container for up to three days.
Prawn ravioli recipe from Sofia and Isabella BlissRead more
Isabella and Sofia Bliss share love of cookingRead more