Brussels sprouts with smoked bacon recipe
You'll be amazed by the lovely, nutty taste of Brussels sprouts when they are cooked properly.
|Fresh from the garden:||Brussels sprouts, garlic|
If you’re missing a thing or two, tick the items you need to add to your shopping list.
What to do
Remember to put a damp tea towel under your chopping board to stop it from slipping.
1. Prepare all of the ingredients based on the instructions in the ingredients list.
2. Preheat the oven to 100°C. Place the plate and ovenproof serving dish in the oven to keep warm.
3. Fill the large saucepan with lightly salted water and bring to the boil. (Adult supervision required)
4. Heat the olive oil in the frying pan over a medium heat, then add the garlic and bacon. Stir occasionally for 5 minutes or until the bacon starts to colour and crisp up.
5. Transfer the bacon to the warm plate in the oven, leaving the garlic in the pan. Add the bread to the pan and fry for 5 minutes or until golden and crisp, shaking the pan and stirring so that the croutons colour evenly. Add the croutons to the bacon in the oven.
6. Carefully drop the Brussels sprouts into the pan of boiling water and cook for 3–5 minutes, until just tender (when you can just put a skewer through them). (Adult supervision required.)
7. Drain, then quickly transfer to the frying pan and add the butter.
8. Increase the heat to medium–high and drizzle the vinegar over – be careful because it will hiss and splutter.
9. Return the bacon and croutons to the pan, stirring and shaking the pan to mix everything together.
10. Season with the salt and pepper, then tip into the warmed serving dish and serve immediately.
Tasty fritters with a zesty lime dressingRead more