Summer bruschetta two ways recipe
Two fresh and zesty summer bruschetta toppings - zucchini and lemon, and tomato and basil.
|Fresh from the garden:||Basil, garlic, lemon, sage, tomato, zucchini, zucchini flowers|
If you’re missing a thing or two, tick the items you need to add to your shopping list.
What to do
Remember to put a damp tea towel under your chopping board to stop it from slipping.
1. Prepare all of the ingredients based on the instructions in the ingredients list.
For the bruschetta toasts:
1. Cut 1 cm thick oval slices from a sourdough or ciabatta loaf.
2. Toast the slices of bread on a ridged griddle or barbecue plate.
3. Rub the toasts very lightly with the cut clove of garlic. Drizzle a few drops of extra-virgin olive oil over the toasts.
4. Keep slices warm on a baking tray in a very low oven (70°C) for up to half an hour while you make your toppings.
For the tomato and basil bruschetta:
1. Toss tomatoes with the salt and allow to sit for 10 minutes in a colander.
2. Toss the basil with the tomatoes.
3. Top half of the bruschetta toasts with a big spoonful of the tomato mix.
4. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper, then arrange on platters.
For the zucchini and lemon bruschetta:
1. Cut the zucchini on the diagonal into 5 mm slices.
2. Heat half the oil in a non-stick frying pan large enough to hold all the zucchini slices in a single layer. Fry them for 1 minute, then turn and fry for another minute. Lift the slices onto some kitchen paper. Reduce the heat to medium.
3. Add the rest of the oil and the butter. As soon as the butter foams, add the sage leaves and the zucchini flowers. Keep a close watch that neither burns. Lift out the flowers as soon as they are lightly coloured. Cook the sage leaves until they are crisp, then quickly remove from the pan.
4. Overlap the zucchini slices onto the bruschetta toasts.
5. Sprinkle with lemon zest.
6. Season with a little pepper and salt.
7. Scatter crisp sage and a few torn strips of zucchini flower over the bruschetta, and arrange on platters.
Healthy herb fritters ideal for breakfast, lunch or dinner.Read more