Soft, sweet and low-sugar, these cherry muffins are the perfect summer treat.
2 cups fresh cherries, finely chopped.
1 cup unprocessed wheat bran or oat bran
1 ½ cups whole-wheat flour
1 ¼ teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon powder
3/4 cup low-fat milk (or soy milk)
½ cup honey
1 large egg
2 tablespoon canola oil
1 tablespoon cherry juice concentrate
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
½ cup chopped toasted pecans
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
2. Lightly coat muffin tray with cooking oil spray.
3. In a medium bowl, combine bran, flour, baking soda and cinnamon. Set aside.
4. In another medium bowl or in a blender, combine the milk, honey, egg, oil, and vanilla extract until smooth.
5. Mix the dry ingredients with liquid mixture. Stir just until combined.
6. Add cherries and pecans and stir.
7. Spoon mixture into muffin tray.
8. Bake for about 13 minutes, or until golden brown.
Recipes supplied by australiancherries.com.au