Crunch on these tasty snack bars for a revitalising afternoon lift
Pumpkin seeds (pepitas) contain protein, glutamate, vitamin B and magnesium. Sunflower seeds are a good source of folate (which promotes a healthy immune system), and vitamin E (an antioxidant which helps healthy hair and skin). Flax seeds contain soluble fibre and Omega-3 fatty acid.
1 cup gluten-free rolled oats
1 cup puffed rice
1/2 cup mixed seeds (flax, pumpkin and sunflower seeds)
1/4 cup desiccated coconut
1/4 cup cacao nibs
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1/2 cup sultanas
1/2 cup dried cranberries
3 tablespoons coconut butter/oil
2 tablespoons agave
1. In a nonstick pan, melt the coconut butter and agave on medium heat until runny, siring often.
2. Mix all remaining ingredients (apart from sesame seeds) in a mixing bowl until well combined, then add to the pan. Stir frequently.
3. Toast until golden, then immediately remove from heat.
4. Add ingredients to a blender and mix at 3 second intervals. The ingredients should still be chunky and not blended.
5. Transfer mixture to a flat pan and press down using a spatula. Sprinkle sesame seeds on top. (Tip: if the mixture doesn’t seem sticky enough, melt some more coconut butter and agave and drizzle on top.)
6. Transfer to fridge to set (this will take a few hours). Once set, cut into squares and store in an airtight container, or wrap individually for an on-the-go snack!