Why should I consider hospital cover?
If your annual income* is over $90,000 as a single (or $180,000 as a couple/family) and don’t have an appropriate level of hospital cover for the full tax year, you may need to pay the Medicare Levy Surcharge. You can avoid paying this surcharge by taking out hospital cover for the full tax year.
Use our Medicare Levy Surcharge Calculator to do the maths.
*'income' for Medicare Levy Surcharge purposes. Learn more.
What happens if I don't take out hospital cover before I'm 31?
You may want to consider getting Hospital cover because of Lifetime Health Cover loading (LHC).
Lifetime Health Cover (LHC) loading is an Australian Government scheme designed to encourage people to take out Hospital cover. If you don’t have Hospital cover by 1 July after your 31st birthday, you may have to pay a 2% LHC loading for each year you haven’t held hospital cover, once you do take it out. The maximum loading is 70%. So it could work in your favour to get Hospital cover (and keep it) early in life.
The decision is up to you, so it’s worth learning more about Lifetime Health Cover loading.
Using your cover is easy with the Medibank App
We've made staying on top of your extras cover easy with the My Medibank App.10 Easily check your extras limits, make a claim and find a Members' Choice provider anywhere, anytime. You can even estimate your potential benefits for most extras claims, so you'll know how much you could get back before leaving the house.
You'll get extra value as a Medibank Member
When you join Medibank you get more than just health cover. You'll have access to exclusive offers from some of your favourite brands, including Fitbit®, Palace Cinemas, and Sunglass Hut, plus member discounts on Medibank Pet & Travel Insurance.
Things you should know
1. Premium calculated based on annual premium for singles cover in NSW with no Lifetime Health Cover loading (LHC) and earning less than $90,000 per annum for income tax purposes.
2. All items can only be claimed for services which are clinically necessary.
3. Limited to two dental check-ups, cleans and fluoride treatments annually on all extras. Maximum two bitewing x-rays per check-up. Not available in all areas.
4. Check-up value is based on the NSW prices agreed with Members’ Choice Advantage dentists for two dental check-ups, cleans and fluoride treatments per year, per member. Bitewing x-ray value is based on the NSW prices agreed with Members’ Choice Advantage dentists.
5. At recognised providers. Some services, like lens coating, aren’t included.
6. Value is based on the full optical annual limit being utilised. Out of pockets may apply.
7. Sub-limits may apply.
8. For ambulance attendance or transportation to a hospital where immediate professional attention is required, and your medical condition is such that you couldn't be transported any other way. Tasmania and Queensland have state schemes to cover ambulance services for residents of those states.
9. Once annual limits are reached, no further benefit is payable.
10. Not available for OSHC members.
‡ For new members on new memberships who join and start eligible combined Gold and Silver hospital and extras from 1 April – 31 May 2019 and who have not held Medibank health cover in the previous 60 days. The Gold and Silver tier relates to the Hospital cover component only. Must quote promo code ONEMONTH and set up direct debit when joining. Must maintain direct debit and hold eligible product for 30 continuous days from the policy start date to get second month free. 2&6 month waits waived on extras: 2&6 month waiting periods on extras waived. Other waiting periods apply (including 12 months on some dental services). If you’ve reached your limits from a previous fund you may not be able to claim straight away. Excludes Corporate covers, Accident Cover, Ambulance Cover, Overseas Visitors Health Insurance, Overseas Students Health Cover (OSHC), Working Visa Health Insurance, ahm covers and other selected covers. Not available with any other offer.