Why should I consider hospital cover?
If your annual income* is over $90,000 as a single (or $180,000 as a couple/family) and don’t have an appropriate level of hospital cover for the full tax year, you may need to pay the Medicare Levy Surcharge.
You can avoid paying this surcharge by taking out hospital cover for the full tax year.
Use our Medicare Levy Surcharge Calculator to do the maths.
*'income' for Medicare Levy Surcharge purposes. Learn more.
24/7 Mental Health Phone Support
At Medibank, we’re always looking for ways to help our members access the care that they need, when they need it.
That’s why you have access to Medibank Mental Health Phone Support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Members with hospital cover can chat to experienced and qualified mental health professionals over the phone to discuss any mental health questions or concerns and get advice on what to do next.
Using your cover is easy with the Medibank App
We've made staying on top of your extras cover easy with the My Medibank App.6 Easily check your extras limits, make a claim and find a Members' Choice provider anywhere, anytime. You can even estimate your potential benefits for most extras claims, so you'll know how much you could get back before leaving the house.
You'll get extra value as a Medibank Member
When you join Medibank you get more than just health cover. You'll have access to exclusive offers from some of your favourite brands, including Fitbit®, Palace Cinemas, and Sunglass Hut, plus member discounts on Medibank Pet & Travel Insurance.
Things you should know
1. Premium calculated based on annual premium for singles cover in NSW with no Lifetime Health Cover loading (LHC) and earning less than $90,000 per annum for income tax purposes.
2. All items can only be claimed for services which are clinically necessary.
3. Offer is limited to two dental check-ups, cleans and fluoride treatments annually on all extras. Maximum two bitewing x-rays per check-up. Not available in all areas. Check-up value is based on the NSW prices agreed with Members’ Choice Advantage dentists for two dental check-ups, cleans and fluoride treatments per year, per member. Bitewing x-ray value is based on the NSW prices agreed with Members’ Choice Advantage dentists.
4. 100% back on optical at recognised providers, up to annual limits. Excludes lens coatings. Value is based on the full $150 combined annual limit being utilised for optical only. Out of pockets may apply.
5. To be eligible you'll have to have your own policy or a policy with your partner, you can't be a dependent on your parents' policy. If you are on a couple or family policy, the discount is calculated by taking an average of the discount applied to the adults on the hospital cover. So, if one person has a 10% discount and their partner has no discount, or 0%, the discount applied is 5% overall.
6. Not available for OSHC members.