Enter your postcode to find your nearest store to have a face-to-face chat!
Don’t forget your discharge summary
Before you leave hospital, ask for a copy of your discharge summary to take home with you and ask for another copy to be sent to your GP. This is a record of your care from when you were admitted up to your discharge from hospital. It includes details about your procedure, notes from your doctors and what your health is like when you leave.
Discuss changes to your medicines
If any of your medicines are new or the doses have been changed, ask the hospital pharmacist to explain the changes to you. Medicine mix-ups are common after hospital discharge so be proactive and make sure you understand everything.
Things to consider before you go home from hospital
- Have you received a supply of your medication?
- Have you received a copy of your discharge medication list?
- Do you need to organise any new medicines?
- Do you need to organise any special equipment or aids for your home?
- Have you received a copy of your discharge summary (this also gets sent to your GP)?
- Do you need to have dressings changed or stitches/staples removed?
- Do you need to have any tests in the weeks after discharge?
- Do you need to make any follow-up appointments with your GP and specialist? If so, how soon?
- Do you have any follow-up appointments with the hospital that you need to write down or get appointment cards for?
Leaving hospital checklist
Take this checklist with you to hospital, and make sure you can tick every box before you go home. If there are any items that you can’t tick, ask your doctor or nurse.
Things you should know
While we hope you find this information helpful, please note that it is general in nature. It is not health advice, and is not tailored to meet your individual health needs. You should always consult a trusted health professional before making decisions about your health care. While we have prepared the information carefully, we can’t guarantee that it is accurate, complete or up-to-date. And while we may mention goods or services provided by others, we aren’t specifically endorsing them and can’t accept responsibility for them. For these reasons we are unable to accept responsibility for any loss that may be sustained from acting on this information (subject to applicable consumer guarantees). Medibank Private Limited ABN 47 080 890 259.
Our team of experts are ready to help!
Fill in the form below or get in touch by calling our dedicated line 1300 110
We are open on Sundays.
In providing your telephone number, you consent to Medibank contacting you about health insurance.
We'll have someone call you soon to help with any questions you have.
Or, check out our FAQs and guides to help get you started.