Enter your postcode to find your nearest store to have a face-to-face chat!
If you put some planning into it, taking your pet away on holiday with you can be lots of fun. There are many dog friendly places that allow you to bring your dog - ask friends or your vet for their recommendations, or look up ‘pet friendly holiday accommodation’ online.
You’ll need to ensure your pet’s vaccinations, flea and worming treatments are all up-to-date and ensure they are fine to travel. And if you’re going away for more than just a few days, take them to the vet for a general check-up.
If you’re taking your pet in the car, here are a few handy travel tips:
- Avoid feeding for two hours prior to leaving
- Encourage toilet time before leaving home
- Use a harness or an approved pet crate/cat cage inside the car
- Stop for a break every two hours and always have fresh water in the car in case your pet needs a drink
- Never leave your dog or cat unattended in a closed car
- Make sure your dog’s ID is current and take a recent photo with you just in case
Flying with your pet
Taking your dog or cat on an aeroplane should be carefully considered. While some pets will cope fine, others who are prone to anxiety or are sensitive to loud noises will probably find the experience quite stressful.
Discuss any thoughts around sedating your pet with your vet before flying, although this is typically not encouraged.
There are also pet travel consultants who can help you make arrangements for both domestic and international pet travel. Search online or ask fellow pet owners who they have used or recommend.
Things you should know
The information provided is general information only and is not a substitute for professional veterinary medical advice. Medibank Private does not guarantee the accuracy of any of the information, representations or advice contained. To the extent permitted by law, Medibank Private accepts no responsibility for any loss, injury or inconvenience sustained by readers of this website as a result of or in connection with the information contained on this website (whether by way of negligence or otherwise).
Terms, conditions and waiting periods apply.
* - Medibank Pet Insurance is general insurance issued by the insurer The Hollard Insurance Company Pty Ltd (ACN 090 584 473; AFSL 241436) (Hollard), is promoted by Medibank Private Limited (ACN 080 890 259; AR 286089) (Medibank) and administered by PetSure (Australia) Pty Ltd (ACN 075 949 923; AFSL 420183) (PetSure). Medibank acts as an authorised representative of PetSure. Medibank will receive a commission which is a percentage of the premium paid to Hollard and PetSure may receive a portion of the underwriting profit, if any - ask PetSure for more details.
Any advice provided is general only, has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs and may not be right for you. Consequently, before acting on this information, you should consider the appropriateness of this information having regard to your objectives, financial situation and needs. You should obtain and consider the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) in deciding whether to acquire, or continue to hold, Medibank Pet Insurance. PetSure can be contacted by telephone: 132 331 or by mail: Locked Bag 9021, Castle Hill, NSW 1765.
Our team of experts are ready to help!
Fill in the form below or get in touch by calling our dedicated line 1300 110
We are open on Sundays.
In providing your telephone number, you consent to Medibank contacting you about health insurance.
We'll have someone call you soon to help with any questions you have.
Or, check out our FAQs and guides to help get you started.