Why surf lifesaving is the perfect kids’ sport
Medibank Wave Warriors gets kids involved in the surf, which will benefit them in numerous ways.
We’re lucky in Australia to be surrounded by so many beautiful beaches. Running around on the sand and splashing in the shallows is a classic childhood memory.
Surf lifesaving combines the best of this blissful experience with essential beach safety skills and knowledge – and it’s a great way to get active. From swimming to sprinting, body boarding to dolphin diving, surf lifesaving activities give children a fun fitness challenge, getting their heart rate up and building strong muscles.
Medibank Wave Warriors offers the perfect opportunity for kids to get involved in this iconic Australian sport. With events held all across Australia over summer, it’s a vibrant and social day out for the whole family to take part in.
Here are some of the best reasons to get the kids out in the surf.
1. It’s great exercise. Growing bodies need plenty of movement to feel their best and stay as healthy as they can. Surf lifesaving combines a variety of activities to get the heart rate up, build strength and develop sporting skills.
2. It teaches beach safety skills. Surf lifesaving is not only about leading a healthy and active lifestyle – kids also learn important beach and surf skills and knowledge that will help them stay safe around the water, now and in the future.
3. It celebrates the great outdoors. What better place to get active than our fantastic Australian beaches? The sand and surf make a nice break from iPad screens, and it encourages kids to run around in the fresh air, improve their fitness and learn to love an active, outdoors lifestyle.
4. It’s social and welcoming. Lots of kids form great friendships through sport – and at the very least, they’re sure to have some laughs as they work together and compete in friendly challenges with their peers.
5. It builds confidence. Learning sports and safety skills can help give kids a sense of achievement and pride, boosting their self-esteem and giving them a greater sense of confidence out in the world.
6. It’s a family-friendly sport. Surf lifesaving events are very family oriented – there’s something for the kids as well as mum and dad to get involved in. At Wave Warriors events, parents can get up close to the action in the ‘parents pens’ to watch their kids compete, and siblings can play games in the activity zone.
7. It’s good for all levels. To get beginners involved in surf lifesaving, simply take your kids down to the local surf club and join up. Young kids can enrol in the nippers program from six years of age.
8. It provides opportunities to develop and grow. Medibank Wave Warriors gives kids a chance to compete in a professional and challenging event, and test their skills against other kids the same age. This is a great way for junior athletes to develop, and maybe even become the future Ironmen and Ironwomen of Australia.
9. It’s a lot of fun. The kids have a day full of fun and excitement, with a friendly atmosphere that combines exercise with social activity. When a sports day is that enjoyable, there’s even more reason to keep coming back, summer after summer.
AllPlay helps to create more inclusive play spaces.Read more
They're fiery, swift and unstoppable on field.Read more