Vegetable and Lentil Soup
A nourishing soup for a cool winter's day.
750 ml salt-reduced chicken or vegetable stock
2 teaspoon olive oil
1 red onion, diced
2 celery sticks, finely sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
500 g sweet potato, diced into 1 cm pieces
400 g can lentils, drained
400 g tin tomatoes
125 g broccoli, cut into small florets
125 g cauliflower, cut into small florets
continental parsley, chopped, to serve
1. Heat oil in a large deep saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion, celery and garlic until softened.
2. Add sweet potato and cauliflower, cook for 2 minutes.
3. Add stock, lentils, tomato and bring to the boil.
4. Allow to simmer for 15 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
5. Add broccoli and simmer for a further 3 minutes until all vegetables are cooked.
6. Serve immediately with chopped parsley and a slice of multigrain or sourdough toast.
This recipe was provided by the Dietitians Association of Australia.