I haven’t used my policy so why is my premium changing and will it go up every year?
We can't charge you less for not using your cover or charge you more for using it. Private health insurance in Australia must meet the government's community rating requirements. This means everyone has access to the same insurance products at the same base price, regardless of their health or claiming behaviour.
The main reason for premium change is to keep pace with the rising cost of healthcare and the increasing need for healthcare. We're living longer, chronic conditions are on the rise and we enjoy some of the best healthcare in the world. Your specific premium change depends on several factors, such as the state you live in, the type of cover you're on, and the general claiming pattern of members.
We’ve been working hard to ensure our members can get better value
from their membership. Depending on what’s included in your policy, (check your cover summary to find out more) you may be able to:
- access our Mental Health Line 24/7 (on 1800 644 325)
- talk to a Medibank nurse anytime 24/7 (with Hospital cover)
- get 100% back on two dental check-ups a year at a Members’ Choice Advantage dentist.¹
- get 100% back on optical items like frames, prescription glasses, contacts and more at recognised providers, up to your annual limits. (some lens coatings are excluded).
- at Specsavers, get two prescription designer glasses, including standard single-vision lenses, with no gap. (Both pairs must be of the same prescription and adequate optical limits must be available at the time of purchase).2
- get member discounts on Medibank Pet, Travel and Life Insurance.
And with our Live Better rewards program, we’re rewarding you for looking after your health. You can:
- access free, active and social activities across the country (such as parkrun and outdoor fitness classes)
- access expert health information, recipe inspiration, exercise tips and online courses to support your health
- if you are an eligible Medibank member, earn Live Better reward points and use them towards a gift card, savings of $200 on your health cover or get more on your extras like a remedial massage or physio service - simply by taking a broad range of healthy actions.