Unfortunately, the kebab-shop versions of these popular little plant-based pleasures are full of refined wheat and fried in cheap seed oils. Cook them at home to ensure an array of healthy ingredients in every bite with these sunflower seed and cashew based delights.
If you’re missing a thing or two, tick the items you need to add to your shopping list.
Who’s doing the shopping?
Send the shopping list straight to their inbox.
What to do
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. To make the tahini dipping sauce, place all the ingredients in a food processor with 2 tablespoons of filtered water and blend until smooth and creamy.
3. Place all the falafel ingredients, except the sesame seeds and lettuce, in a food processor and pulse until thoroughly blended.
4. Use an ice-cream scoop to form round balls. Roll in the sesame seeds, transfer to the baking tray and bake for 20 minutes, or until crispy.
5. Serve in a lettuce leaf and dress with the tahini dipping sauce.
Recipe from Supercharged Food: Eat Clean, Green and Vegetarian by Lee Holmes.