Veggie-full beef bolognese with spaghetti recipe
Simple, delicious and packed with goodness, this pasta dish is an instant classic.
If you’re missing a thing or two, tick the items you need to add to your shopping list.
What to do
1. Put the onion, carrot and mushrooms in a food processor and blitz until finely chopped. Alternatively, finely chop all the vegetables.
2. Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat and add the olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the chopped vegies and cook for 5 minutes, stirring, until caramelised.
3. Add the tomato paste, garlic and salt, stir well, and cook for a further 3 minutes.
4. Add the beef, breaking up lumps, and stir it through the vegetables. Cook for 5 minutes.
5. Add the tomatoes and balsamic vinegar and cook for a further 10 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti according to the packet directions. Divide the spaghetti between plates and top with the sauce. Serve with fresh basil.
- If you have fussy eaters, blitz the vegies a little finer so they are more hidden.
- This bolognese is ideal for easy meal prep, so whip up a whole batch (or two or three!) ahead of a busy week. Freeze the extras.
- The longer you cook bolognese, the tastier it becomes; if you have time, simmer it for an hour in total (check regularly and add a little water if necessary to ensure it doesn’t burn).
Subscribe to Live Better and receive our 'Healthy Living' recipe book FREE! As well as delicious recipes, food inspiration, offers and promotions straight to your inbox each week.
Here's how to eat home made meals every nightRead more