Important Australian phone numbers and websites
Whether you’re coming to Australia to work, travel, or study, it’s important to be prepared when it comes to your health and safety.
Below is a list of helpful phone numbers and websites in case you have an emergency. We recommend saving this page, and even printing it out to have with you when travelling around the country.
Ambulance, Fire and Police
The most important telephone number to remember is 000.
Dialing 000 will connect you with an operator who will ask you some questions and then connect you to the relevant service.
After Hours GP Helpline
If you or one of your family members falls sick or has an injury after 5pm or on the weekend, you can call 1800 022 222 and speak to a doctor for free.
State Emergency Services (SES) - Storm and Flood assistance
Each Australian state has its own SES chapter, but the national number applies everywhere. If you find yourself in an emergency disaster situation involving storms or flooding, call 132 500 or visit ses.org.au.
Mental Health Helplines
Sometimes the stress of being away from home can be overwhelming, and you just need somebody to talk to. The following numbers are 24-hour crisis support lines for when you’re feeling down:
Lifeline 13 11 14
Suicide Call Back Service 1300 659 467
MensLine Australia 1300 78 99 78
And if you want to know more about other mental health services available in Australia, visit beyondblue.
Student Health and Support Line
When you have Medibank Overseas Student Health Cover with Medibank, you have access to a 24 hour, 7 days a week Student Health and Support Line. If you need medical assistance from a registered nurse, counselling services, interpreter services or general advice about the health system or living in Australia, call 1800 887 283 at any time.
The best way to find local numbers, for people, services and businesses, no matter where you are, is through the White Pages website: whitepages.com.au
Australian Capital Territory
- Police Service: afp.gov.au
- Ambulance Service: esa.act.gov.au/actas
- Fire Service: esa.act.gov.au/actfr
- Rural Fire Service: esa.act.gov.au/actrfs
- SES: esa.act.gov.au/actses
New South Wales
- Police Service: police.nsw.gov.au
- Ambulance Service: ambulance.nsw.gov.au
- Fire Brigade: fire.nsw.gov.au
- Rural Fire Service: rfs.nsw.gov.au
- SES: ses.nsw.gov.au
- Police Service: police.vic.gov.au
- Ambulance Service: ambulance.vic.gov.au
- Metropolitan Fire Service: mfb.vic.gov.au
- Country Fire Authority: cfa.vic.gov.au
- SES: ses.vic.gov.au
- Police Service: police.qld.gov.au
- Ambulance Service: ambulance.qld.gov.au
- Queensland Fire and Emergency Services: qfes.qld.gov.au
- Rural Fire Service: ruralfire.qld.gov.au
- SES: ses.qld.gov.au
- Police Department: police.tas.gov.au
- Ambulance Service: dhhs.tas.gov.au/ambulance
- Fire Service: fire.tas.gov.au
- SES: ses.tas.gov.au
- Police Service: police.sa.gov.au
- Ambulance Service: saambulance.com.au
- Metropolitan Fire Service: www.mfs.sa.gov.au
- Country Fire Service: cfs.org.au
- SES: ses.sa.gov.au
- Police Service: police.wa.gov.au
- Ambulance Service: stjohnambulance.com.au
- Fire & Emergency Services Authority: dfes.wa.gov.au
- SES: ses-wa.asn.au
- Police, Fire and Emergency Services: pfes.nt.gov.au
Medibank member savings on laser eye surgeryRead more
Our Members’ Choice network helps you get more valueRead more
Private health insurance policy options for you and your gro...Read more