2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, crushed
3 medium celery stalks, diced
2 medium carrots, diced
1 medium zucchini, diced
1 ½ teaspoons chicken stock powder
⅔ cup water
600 g (around 4 fillets) chicken thighs, trimmed and diced
2 teaspoons oregano, dried
¼ cup red split lentils, dry
½ can of cannellini beans, drained
½ tablespoon basil pesto
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 180°C/160°F.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large casserole dish over a medium-high heat. Sear the chicken in batches for 1 minute or until golden. Remove from dish and set aside.
3. Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil to the pan, add onion and cook, stirring for 2 minutes or until soft. Add in garlic, celery and carrot and cook for a further 2 minutes.
4. Add water and stock to the pan along with the seared chicken, red lentils, oregano and cannellini beans and bring to the boil. Cover and cook in oven for an hour.
5. Remove from oven, stir in pesto and season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Serve with al dente pasta or your favourite roast vegetables and some steamed seasonal vegetables.
Recipe from Hit 100.