For Jesinta Campbell, feeling healthy and vibrant is an essential part of life. In the lead up to the Blackmores Bridge Run at the Sydney Running Festival, the busy TV presenter takes a few moments to share some of her favourite ways to stay fit and healthy.
Favourite ways to exercise?
Health and fitness has always been a huge part of my life and I try to be active most days. I love to get up, work out and then get on with my day. I love incorporating pilates, cardio, boxing and strength and stability training with my personal trainer, Dan at 98 Riley St in Darlinghurst.
In the lead up to the Blackmores Bridge Run, I’ve really been ramping up my running – including speed and intervals sessions and doing more long distance runs outdoors.
Best places in Sydney to run?
Centennial Park is amazing. It’s always a hive of activity and has a great circular track so you can really notice improvements in your pace as you gain fitness.
I love running around Sydney Harbour and through the Royal Botanical Gardens until I get to the Sydney Opera House. During spring when the sun is shining, it doesn’t get much better than being harbour side. I honestly love Sydney! It’s so beautiful.
Top running tips?
1. Warm up and cool down properly. Stretching and walking out any tightness in your muscles is key for a successful recovery after exercise.
2. Push yourself, but be kind. Remember to challenge yourself so you’re making progress, but don’t forget to listen to your body. Slow it down if you feel you need it.
3. Drink lots of water. Keep hydrated before and after your training or race (and throughout if you can, with small sips of water).
4. Play your favourite songs. Get a great playlist going to keep you motivated and pumped up on the course!
"Finding exercise you love it important, and activities that are transferable and flexible are great for busy people."
Favourite healthy foods?
1. Fresh berries. Strawberries and blueberries are two of my faves, but I absolutely love fresh fruit in general and regularly snack on fruit salad. Yum!
2. Coconut water. Staying hydrated is really important and I drink a lot of water, but I also absolutely love coconut water – especially when I’m working out.
3. Lemons. Another favourite, which is a perhaps a bit peculiar! I start my day with lemon, ginger and warm water. It really makes me feel cleansed and balanced.
Best ways to unwind and manage stress?
Working out really helps me get away from work and my busy schedule, and often going for a run is just what I need to clear my mind and chill out. There’s nothing like taking in some fresh air and moving my legs – even if it’s just a jog.
I also enjoy just relaxing at home and making a home-cooked meal. I try to do something once a week just for me – I think that’s important. Health is also about knowing when to slow down and look after yourself.
Tricks for staying healthy when you’re busy?
I really enjoy working out and eating well, and so it’s easier for me to prioritise and make time for it. Finding exercise you love it important, and activities that are transferable and flexible are great for busy people – for example, you can always go for a quick jog whether you’re at home or travelling (and rain or shine – maybe not hail!).
Putting together a routine using your own body weight is also great – think sit ups, triceps dips, push ups and the trusty old plank.
In terms of eating well, this is all about planning and preparing if you know you’ll be busy. Buying healthy food in advance helps so much. I try and pack snacks to take with me where possible, especially on busy shoot days.
Top tips for a healthy and balanced lifestyle?
1. Get out there and move. Even if it’s only 15 minutes a day – just lifting your heart rate will send your endorphins racing.
2. Eat well. You can’t keep driving if your car is out of fuel and your precious body is the same. Nourish yourself with a healthy, balanced diet and I promise you’ll be feeling well inside and out.
3. Make time for you and your loved ones. This is so important for your health and wellbeing, so pick something you love, things that help you relax, people you enjoy being around and you’ll be set.
Jesinta is running in the Blackmores Bridge Run at the Sydney Running Festival this Sunday 20 September 2015.