Prepare your pantry
Ensure you’re fueling up on the right stuff when you embark on your training journey.Here are the top 10 foods to fill a runner’s shopping basket.
1. Wholegrain cereals. Spanning quinoa, rice, wholegrain bread and pasta, bulgur, barley and more, wholegrains are a long-lasting source of carbohydrates for fuel and recovery.
2. Beans and legumes. Stock up on these economical beauties for a range of essential nutrients including protein, low GI carbs, fibre, vitamins and minerals.
3. Salmon. A rich source of Omega 3 fatty acids EPA and DHA, salmon has powerful anti-inflammatory benefits, which is important for high-impact running.
4. Lean meat. Small portions of quality lean meat are excellent for protein, satiety, iron stores and recovery.
5. Nuts. Loaded in essential fatty acids, a small handful of unsalted, natural nuts make the perfect snack.
6. Eggs. As a natural source of at least 11 different vitamins and minerals, two poached eggs make a great recovery meal.
7. Dairy. A couple of serves of dairy post workout – like a tub of yoghurt or a glass of milk – make great recovery snacks.
8. Frozen berries. The compounds that give berries their dark colour are anthocyanins, a powerful group of antioxidants that may assist with muscle repair. Great for a smoothie!
9. Frozen veggie mixes. Saving you time in preparation and offering an array of different colours on your plate in an instant, veggie mixes provide a convenient dose of your daily intake.
10. Dark chocolate. Dark chocolate contains potent antioxidants called flavonols that have been shown to boost heart health. Opt for small, individually wrapped portions.