Spicy pumpkin and lentil soup recipe
A warming, simple soup with an Indian-inspired twist.
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, finely diced
1 leek (white part only), finely diced
3 cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped
2 teaspoons Clive of India Curry Powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 garlic cloves, crushed
⅓ cup tomato passata
1 tablespoon tomato paste
500 g Kent pumpkin, diced
1 cup McKenzie’s Red Lentils
1 litre vegetable stock
1 cup coconut milk, plus extra to serve
Lime juice, to taste
Naan, to serve
1. Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook the onion, leek and ginger stirring for 2-3 minutes until softened. Add the curry powder and cumin and sauté, stirring for a couple of minutes.
2. Add garlic, tomato passata, tomato paste, pumpkin, lentils and stock. Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the pumpkin is soft.
3. Remove the soup from the heat and use a stick blender to puree until smooth.
4. Add the coconut milk and lime juice to the soup, then gently reheat over low heat. Season to taste.
5. Serve with additional coconut milk and naan or roti bread.
For more recipe ideas and ingredients inspiration, head to mckenziesfoods.com.au