Herbed Buckwheat with Brown Rice and Quinoa Recipe
Get the most out of your grains with this nutritious blend - perfect with salads, veggies, stir fries and more.
I usually make a batch of this – it’s great as a side, or added to meals. You can serve it with salad, inside lettuce wraps, with roasted veggies, with stir-fry, or chop up your favourite veggies mix them through, top with seeds and a light sauce.
Buckwheat is a great gluten free food! Despite the name, it’s not related to wheat at all – it’s actually a fruit related to the rhubarb family. It contains more protein than grains and amino acids, making it a nutritionally complete protein. It contains magnesium, B vitamins and is fibre rich!
1/2 cup brown rice
1/2 cup quinoa
1/2 cup buckwheat
2 cups water
mixed fresh seasonal herbs, finely chopped (dill, parsley and coriander for spring!)
1. As brown rice takes longer to cook than the other ingredients, begin by adding the brown rice and water to a large pot on the stove.
2. Bring to the boil and immediately reduce heat to a simmer.
3. After around 15 minutes, add the quinoa and buckwheat and continue to cook until the quinoa forms a little sprout and the buckwheat and rice are soft.
4. Remove from the heat and place the lid on, allowing the remaining water to absorb.
5. Transfer to a bowl and stir through fresh herbs.
Hint: Add a mixture of lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper if you’re having it as a side.