Healthy cherry muffin recipe
Soft, sweet and low-sugar, these cherry muffins are the perfect summer treat.
2 cups fresh cherries, finely chopped.
1 cup unprocessed wheat bran or oat bran
1 ½ cups whole-wheat flour
1 ¼ teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon powder
3/4 cup low-fat milk (or soymilk)
½ cup honey
1 large egg
2 tablespoon canola oil
1 tablespoon cherry juice concentrate
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
½ cup chopped toasted pecans
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- Lightly coat muffin tray with cooking oil spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine bran, flour, baking soda and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In another medium bowl or in a blender, combine the milk, honey, egg, oil, and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Mix the dry ingredients with liquid mixture. Stir just until combined.
- Add cherries and pecans and stir.
- Spoon mixture into muffin tray.
- Bake for about 13 minutes, or until golden brown.