Reporting lost or stolen luggage
When you’re at home, you look after your belongings. When you travel it should be no different. Unfortunately, many claims we see for loss or theft are caused by people being careless with their belongings. If you do not take good care of your belongings we may not be able to pay your claim. Not all belongings are covered by the policy.
What does this mean?
- Keep valuables with you (where security regulations allow you to do so) rather than checking them in with the transport provider.
- Do not leave valuables in a motor vehicle at any time. Valuables means articles made of or containing gold, silver or precious metals; binoculars; jewellery; mobile phones; photographic, audio, video, tablet computer, computer and electrical equipment of any kind (including computer games, portable navigation equipment or media); precious stones; smart phones; telescopes and watches.
- A maximum limit of $2,000 applies to any other items left during the day in the boot of a locked motor vehicle. Also, don’t leave items in a motor vehicle overnight as they are not covered.
- Report any loss or theft to the police within 24 hours as an original police report is required for any claim involving loss or theft.
- Additionally, we require the relevant report from the related party. For example, an Airline Property Irregularity Report (P.I.R.) is also required if your items were lost or stolen when travelling with an airline.
Submitting a claim for lost or stolen luggage
Submit the claim online or post it
- Upload Your scanned documents and submit the claim online; or
- Post the completed claim form and original supporting documents to: Medibank Travel Insurance Team c/o Travel Insurance Partners Claims Dept PO Box 168 North Sydney NSW 2060
The loss or theft of luggage, personal effects, travel documents or money must be reported within 24 hours to the police or responsible transport provider and a written report must be obtained at the time.
Limits, sub-limits, exclusions and conditions apply. This is general advice only. Medibank Private Limited, ABN 47 080 890 259, an Authorised Representative, AR 286089, of Travel Insurance Partners Pty Limited, ABN 73 144 049 230 AFSL 360138 arranges the insurance on behalf of the insurer. The issuer is Zurich Australian Insurance Limited ABN 13 000 296 640, AFSL 232507. Please consider your own needs and the Combined FSG/PDS available from Medibank stores or medibank.com.au/travel to decide if this product is right for you.