Please view our PDS before deciding to purchase any of our travel insurance products.
To help make sure there are no surprises when you’re purchasing travel insurance with Medibank, here are some common misconceptions and key terms:
- We generally don't provide cover for events which you would reasonably be able to seek compensation through other means. This include may include cancellations and flight cancellations due to mechanical fault, overbooking, maintenance, repairs, rescheduling, service faults or the airline becoming insolvent.
- You have a duty of disclosure under the Insurance Contracts Act 1984. This covers answering our questions and telling us anything you know, or could reasonably be expected to know, which may affect our decision to insure you and on what terms. You can read more about this duty on page 30 of the PDS.
- While we aim to provide one of the most comprehensive cover levels on the market, some types of claims do have limits. Please check the Table of Benefits for more information relating to specific limits.
- In some circumstances, we're able to cover Existing Medical Conditions and/or pregnancy. Make sure you check with your doctor and review our PDS before calling 132 331, using our online medical assessment tool as part of the quote process, or visiting a Medibank store to apply for cover for Existing Medical Conditions.
- There's no cover for expenses relating to acts by customs or other officials or authorities, or for claims arising from unlawful acts. Make sure you are aware of what you can and cannot do while travelling and always read arrival cards carefully.
- We can only cover claims where you have taken reasonable action to avoid the situation, so make sure you look after your items and take reasonable steps to avoid the need for an insurance claim. We can’t cover expenses resulting from the refusal of workplace annual leave, or you change your mind.
- To keep our policy costs low, we can't cover some high-risk activities. However, a number of these activities (including snow and motorbike/moped activities) may be added at the point of purchase. For a full list of included activities and for excluded activities check the PDS.
- We're unable to cover claims arising as a result of war, invasion, nuclear reaction or contamination, acts of terrorism or a number of other events outlined in our general exclusions on pages 59–61 of the PDS.
- We cannot cover claims involving self-inflicted injury or condition, suicide, attempted suicide, stress, travel exhaustion, any conduct engaged in whilst under the influence or effect of alcohol or drugs, the effect of, or chronic use of alcohol or drugs or the transmission of any sexually transmittable illness. Make sure you look after yourself while travelling and reach out for support if needed.
- We have a number of exclusions relating to private plane or vessel travel, so be sure to check the general exclusions list if this relates to your trip.
If something does go wrong while travelling, we recommend contacting our 24-hour emergency assistance line for advice about your cover. In the case of a medical emergency, call the emergency services for that country first.
Emergency Assistance Numbers
New Zealand: 0800 284 346
UK: 0800 096 8821
USA: 1 855 802 3392
Canada: 1 855 802 3392
Limits, sub-limits, exclusions and conditions apply. This is general advice only. Medibank Private Limited, ABN 47 080 890 259, an Authorised Representative, AR 286089, of Travel Insurance Partners Pty Limited, ABN 73 144 049 230 AFSL 360138 arranges the insurance on behalf of the insurer. The issuer is Zurich Australian Insurance Limited ABN 13 000 296 640, AFSL 232507. Please consider your own needs and the Combined FSG/PDS available from Medibank stores or medibank.com.au/travel to decide if this product is right for you.