5 things you need to know about your extras
Tips to get more value from your cover.
‘Hospital cover’ is there for when you need to be admitted to hospital. It helps pay for the cost of your hospital stay as a private patient, including payments towards accommodation and in-patient medical treatment.
‘Extras cover’ is there to keep you healthy. It helps cover some of the costs of non-hospital services that are generally not covered by Medicare— like dental, optical, physio, chiro and remedial massage. The type of extras cover you have will determine how much of the costs will be covered, and which types of services you can access.
If you have extras cover included as part of your policy, here are 5 things you need to know to make sure you are getting the most value from your health cover.
1. Most annual limits on extras reset annually on 1 January. A limit is the total benefit amount you can claim back on extras. Most annual limits are reset at the start of each year on 1 January, so if you haven’t used your extras yet, it might be a good time to book in your appointments before Christmas.
2. We have negotiated great deals for our members at over 8,000 extras providers across the country. These are known as our Members’ Choice providers. Visiting one of our Members' Choice providers can save you money. Depending on the level of cover you choose and the service you require, you may even get up to 100% back (up to applicable annual limits). Members’ Choice providers also have a set Medibank rate, so you know what the service will cost, and how much you get back ahead of time. Find your nearest provider here.
3. You can get up to two free annual dental checks. All Medibank members with extras cover for two months or more can now get 100% back on up to two dental check-ups at a Members’ Choice Advantage dentist every calendar year, including x-rays*. And regular dental checks are important. In fact, most oral health problems are preventable with good habits and regular visits to the dentist. And good oral health not only contributes to a great smile, but also to your general health and wellbeing. So make sure you book in that dental check now.
4. We can help you protect your peepers. Everyone deserves to see the world clearly. That’s why when you join Medibank extras you get 100% back on optical items at all recognised providers up to annual limits**.
5. You may need to serve waiting periods. It’s important to be aware of the waiting periods that may apply on some extras. A waiting period is the amount of time you need to wait before you can access the benefits included in your policy. The length of your waiting period depends on the types of services or items included on your cover.
Remember, if you have health insurance with another fund, and are switching to Medibank, you may not need to re-serve the waiting periods. Check with us to find out if you need to re-serve waiting periods.
If you’re a Medibank member, and you have any questions about using your extras, call us on 132 331.
Subscribe to Live Better and receive our Sleep Guide FREE! As well as useful health tips and insights, expert advice, offers and promotions straight to your inbox each week.
*Disclaimer: Limited to two dental check-ups on all extras annually. Maximum two bitewing x-rays per check-up, where clinically needed. Not available in all areas.
**Disclaimer: 6 month waiting period applies. Some lens coatings excluded.
Medibank member savings on laser eye surgeryRead more
The Mental Health Waiver and other reforms explainedRead more