Prep time: 15
Total time: 65
4 nectarines (mix of yellow and white)
4 peaches (mix of yellow and white)
11 oz (330 g) superfine (caster) sugar
1 vanilla bean and split, seeds scraped
2 cups water
14 fl oz (400 ml) can coconut cream
10 ½ fl oz (300 ml) full cream milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 medium egg yolks
3 ½ oz (110 g) superfine (caster) sugar
2 teaspoons cornstarch (cornflour), sifted
Pinch of salt
For the fruit
1. Preheat the oven to 340°F (170°C).
2. Place the nectarines and peaches into a deep ceramic baking dish.
3. Place the sugar, vanilla bean and seeds, and the water in a saucepan and bring to the boil over medium heat, stirring until sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and pour the sugar syrup over nectarines and peaches. Transfer to the oven and bake for 25 minutes or until fruit is tender.
For the custard
1. Place the coconut cream, milk and vanilla extract in a saucepan over medium heat and cook for 4–5 minutes, stirring, until just below boiling point.
2. Meanwhile, place the egg yolks, sugar, sifted cornstarch and a pinch of salt in a bowl. Using electric beaters, beat for 3–4 minutes or until the mixture is thick and pale. Gradually beat in the coconut cream mixture, then place in a clean pan over low heat. Cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, for 10 minutes or until the custard is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon.
Serve warm fruit with coconut custard.
Variation: Fruit can also be served chilled with warm custard
This recipe is from Huey’s All Time Favourites, available now from New Holland Publishers.