Black Bean and Millet Stuffed Peppers Recipe
Flavoursome, filling and infused with the fragrance of oregano, paprika and thyme, this vegan and gluten free dish from Thoroughly Nourished Life is sure to delight.
Leftovers will keep well wrapped in the refrigerator for up to two days. To reheat: place on a microwave safe plate and cover with paper towel. Heat on high for two minutes.
4 large banana peppers (or medium red capsicums instead)
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 medium brown onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1/2 cup uncooked millet
400 gram tin crushed tomatoes
3/4 cup water
400 gram tin black beans
1. Preheat oven to 180C (350F).
2. Wash and dry peppers well. Cut peppers from stem to tip and carefully remove seeds and white ribs from the insides. Leave the stem intact. Lay peppers on a lined baking sheet until required.
3. Heat olive oil in a large, heavy based sauce pan, over medium heat. Fry diced onion, crushed garlic, paprika, herbs, salt and pepper until onions are translucent.
4. Add millet to pan along with crushed tomatoes and water. Bring to the boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium low and cover with lid. Cook for 15 – 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until millet is firm but not crunchy.
5. Rinse black beans well and add to the millet mixture. Stir well.