Your health checklist
- Consult a travel health specialist at least 6 weeks before you leave
- Ensure your vaccinations are up to date and consider whether vaccinations are necessary for any of your destinations. If so, make sure you make an appointment to visit The Travel Doctor before your trip.
- Always carry your Travellers' Medical Kit available from The Travel Doctor. Ensure you travel with all your Medibank Travel Insurance policy documents.
- If bitten, scratched or injured by local wildlife, seek medical advice.
- If you’re concerned about the cleanliness or quality of the food, don’t eat it.
- Respect local laws and customs.
- If anti-malarial pills are required, follow and complete the prescribed treatment.
- Apply sunscreen regularly.
- Visit Smart Traveller when planning your holiday and before departing to check for any relevant health alerts or travel warnings.
- If travelling with prescription medications, ensure you carry a letter from your doctor detailing your prescription medications for Customs. For more information phone Medicare Australia's Travelling with PBS Medicine enquiry line 1800 500 147 or visit Medicare Australia
- In the event of illness or injury whilst travelling, contact your overseas emergency medical assistance travel insurance provider for advice.
- Have a check-up on return if you've been sick.
Before you travel checklist
- Suspend subscriptions to newspapers, gyms etc.
- Ask a neighbour to clear your letterbox or redirect your mail.
- Arrange international roaming for your mobile phone.
- Set up an out-of-office reply for your email and/or open a web-based email account.
- Empty your bins, refrigerator and use up perishable foods.
- Ensure your passport does not expire less than 6 months after your return and check if you need Visas for each country you are visiting.
- Leave copies of your passport, flight tickets, credit cards and travel insurance documents with friends or family.
- Photocopy prescriptions for any medication or glasses you need, in case yours are lost.
- Get and set timers for lights and radios, so your house doesn't look unoccupied.
- Unplug other electrical devices such as computers and televisions.
Find the right travel insurance to suit you
Medibank Travel Insurance gives you leading hospital, accident and medical evacuation cover while you're travelling. We have International travel insurance, Domestic travel insurance or Annual Multi Trip if you travel more frequently.