Enter your postcode to find your nearest store to have a face-to-face chat!
How can I tell if I have an 'Existing Medical Condition (EMC)' for the purposes of travel insurance?
Existing Medical Condition means a disease, illness, medical or dental condition or physical defect that at the Relevant Time meets any one of the following:
- has required an emergency department visit, hospitalisation or day surgery procedure within the last two years;
- prescription medication from a qualified medical practitioner or dentist;
- regular review or check-ups;
- ongoing medication for treatment or risk factor control;
- consultation with a specialist;
- been medically documented involving the brain, circulatory system, heart, kidneys, liver, respiratory system or cancer;
- required surgery involving the abdomen, back, joints or spine;
- shown symptoms or signs however, a medical opinion or investigation has not been sought to confirm or provide a diagnosis; or
- chronic or ongoing (whether chronic or otherwise) and medically documented;
- under investigation;
- pending diagnosis; or
- pending test results.
‘Relevant Time’ in respect of:
- Single Trip policies means the time of issue of the policy.
- Annual Multi-Trip policies means the first time at which any part of the relevant trip is paid for or the time at which the policy is issued, whichever occurs last.
If You are unsure whether You have an Existing Medical Condition, please call 132 331 for assistance.
There are three categories of medical conditions:
- conditions we automatically include.
- conditions which cannot be covered.
- conditions we need to assess.
Please review each of these categories to determine which category applies to you.
You can view or download the Product Disclosure Statement to find a full definition of a 'Pre-existing Medical Conditions' on page 15
Our team of experts are ready to help!
Fill in the form below or get in touch by calling our dedicated line 1300 110
We are open on Sundays.
In providing your telephone number, you consent to Medibank contacting you about health insurance.
We'll have someone call you soon to help with any questions you have.
Or, check out our FAQs and guides to help get you started.