Enter your postcode to find your nearest store to have a face-to-face chat!
Better quality healthcare
In Australia, we enjoy some of the best healthcare in the world. New and improving technologies mean better treatment, but they can come at a price. These technologies are often expensive to implement and that contributes to higher overall costs in the health sector.
A rise in chronic conditions
While we’re living longer, Australians are also being admitted to hospital in record numbers. Chronic conditions such as heart disease and diabetes are still increasing year by year.
Our ageing population
It’s great news that Australians, on the whole, are living longer. But the longer we live, the more healthcare we’re likely to need. Generally speaking, increasing life expectancy equals increasing premiums.
The My Medibank App
We’ve made it simpler for most members to stay on top of their cover with the My Medibank App. Check your limits, submit a claim for most extras, and find a Members’ Choice provider anywhere, anytime. And to avoid surprises, most members can use the out of pocket feature to estimate benefits and gaps for most extras claims.^
Everyone benefits from a quick health check now and then. And the same goes with your health insurance.
We know that affordability will always be important for our members. Our team is on hand to discuss options that could make your premiums more manageable. Or if your circumstances have changed since we last spoke, it may be a good time to check if a different cover option may be more suitable.
Give us a call on 132 331 and we’ll take you through a cover review.
Frequently Asked Questions
New premiums are effective from 1 April 2021. We will be in touch with you from late February to let you know the details of your new premium, at which point this information will also be available for you to view online via My Medibank.
We can't charge you less for not using your cover or charge you more for using it. Private health insurance in Australia must meet the government's community rating requirements. This means everyone has access to the same insurance products at the same base price, regardless of their health or claiming behaviour.
The main reason for premium change is to keep pace with the rising cost of healthcare and the increasing need for healthcare. We're living longer, chronic conditions are on the rise and we enjoy some of the best healthcare in the world. Your specific premium change depends on several factors, such as the state you live in, the type of cover you're on, and the general claiming pattern of members.
We’ve been working hard to ensure our members can get better value
from their membership. Depending on what’s included in your policy, (check your cover summary to find out more) you may be able to:
- access our Mental Health Line 24/7 (on 1800 644 325)
- talk to a Medibank nurse anytime 24/7 (with Hospital cover)
- get member discounts on Medibank Pet, Travel and Life Insurance.
And with our Live Better rewards program, we’re rewarding you for looking after your health. You can:
- access free, active and social activities across the country (such as parkrun and outdoor fitness classes)
- access expert health information, recipe inspiration, exercise tips and online courses to support your health
- if you are an eligible Medibank member, earn Live Better reward points and use them towards a gift card, savings of $200 on your health cover or get more on your extras like a remedial massage or physio service - simply by taking a broad range of healthy actions.
We're tackling increasing healthcare costs in a number of ways:
- Investing in primary care programs for eligible members with chronic conditions to help them stay out of hospital.
- Partnering with the healthcare sector to support better health outcomes for members.
- Launching the Live Better programme to help Australians get healthy and stay healthy - and be rewarded for doing so.⁴
- Providing the young adult discount on eligible hospital covers.
- Conducting regular cover reviews to ensure that you are always on the right cover for you and that you get the most out of it.
The Government reforms introduced in April this year have been designed to make the private health system simpler, easier to understand and more affordable for all Australians.
Medibank made the decision to adopt all the Government’s optional reforms because it was the right thing to do.
This includes giving customers the option to increase their excess to $750 to reduce their premium. It also means introducing a discount of up to 10% for young adults.
The cost of delivering healthcare costs in Australia continues to rise, largely driven by more frequent and more expensive hospital admissions and a population that is getting older.
The private hospital system gives you peace of mind and choice.
Shorter wait times: For in-hospital procedures that are considered non-life-threatening or elective, you’re likely to be treated sooner as a private patient in a private hospital. If it’s a condition that affects your ability to work or causes pain, this becomes especially important.
Choice over your specialist: There’s a lot to be said for being able to choose your preferred specialist as a private patient in a private hospital; even more so if you’re embarking on a health journey like pregnancy, or if it’s a serious illness and your life is quite literally in their hands.
A private room: You are more likely to get the calm and comfort of a private room while in a private hospital (provided one is available and is appropriate for your clinical needs).
Extras: Your Medibank extras cover is there to help with your day-to-day health and could even prevent smaller issues from becoming bigger ones. But you do need to know what’s included under your cover to make the most of it. You can check this through the Medibank mobile app or by logging into My Medibank.
It’s also important to make sure you’re on the right type of cover for where you’re at in life; and that’s why we’re encouraging all our members to take another look at their cover. Give us a call on 132 331 and we’ll take you through a cover review.
Things you should know
⁺ OSHC members should call the Student Health and Support Line on 1800 887 283.
* Must be 18 years or over and have a valid Australian residential address to register for Medibank Live Better. Must be a Medibank member with hospital cover, extras cover, or hospital and extras cover, be up-to-date with premium payments and have signed up to Medibank Live Better with ‘My Medibank’ or have linked their MyMedibank account with their Live Better account to redeem rewards. Excludes Overseas Visitor health cover, Working Visa health cover, Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC), Ambulance only cover, ahm covers and other selected covers. Additional terms and conditions may apply to the redemption of a reward depending on the type of reward chosen. See full Medibank Live Better terms here.
^ Claims for some types of services/items excluded. Some claims, like paper based, may take longer to update.
Our team of experts are ready to help!
Fill in the form below or get in touch by calling our dedicated line 1300 110
We are open on Sundays.
In providing your telephone number, you consent to Medibank contacting you about health insurance.
We'll have someone call you soon to help with any questions you have.
Or, check out our FAQs and guides to help get you started.