Enter your postcode to find your nearest store to have a face-to-face chat!
Better quality healthcare
In Australia, we enjoy some of the best healthcare in the world. New and improving technologies mean better treatment, but they can come at a price. These technologies are often expensive to implement and that contributes to higher overall costs in the health sector.
A rise in chronic conditions
While we’re living longer, Australians are also being admitted to hospital in record numbers. Chronic conditions such as heart disease and diabetes are still increasing year by year.
Our ageing population
It’s great news that Australians, on the whole, are living longer. But the longer we live, the more healthcare we’re likely to need. Generally speaking, increasing life expectancy equals increasing premiums.
The My Medibank App
We’ve made it simpler for most members to stay on top of their cover with the My Medibank App. Check your limits, submit a claim for most extras, and find a Members’ Choice provider anywhere, anytime. And to avoid surprises, most members can use the out of pocket feature to estimate benefits and gaps for most extras claims.^
Everyone benefits from a quick health check now and then. And the same goes with your health insurance.
We know that affordability will always be important for our members. Our team is on hand to discuss options that could make your premiums more manageable. Or if your circumstances have changed since we last spoke, it may be a good time to check if a different cover option may be more suitable.
Give us a call on 132 331 and we’ll take you through a cover review.
Frequently Asked Questions
Your new premium will apply to your next payment from 1 April 2020 and will be communicated to you as well as available for you to view online via My Medibank, from early February. Don't forget that you can choose how often you pay your premium - fortnightly, monthly, quarterly, every six months, or every year. To change your premium payment frequency please log in to My Medibank.
We're tackling increasing healthcare costs in a number of ways:
- Working closely with the government on policy reform to reduce costs in heath cover.
- Investing in primary care programs for eligible people with chronic conditions to help them stay out of hospital.
- Partnering with the healthcare sector to support better health outcomes for members.
- Launching the Live Better rewards programme to help Australians get healthy and stay healthy.
We know how important affordable health cover is to you and have been working to provide better support and value for members. We’ve also worked hard to take costs out of our business – $40 million in the past two years and a further $50 million planned over the next three years.
We’ve worked hard to reduce costs as a deliberate strategy to provide our product at the best possible price for our customers. This year we’ve delivered:
- The Government’s industry-wide reforms, focused on making health insurance more accessible and simple to understand.
- Our members wanted more control over where and when to get treatment, so we developed Medibank at Home, a group of trial programs that bring hospital care right into the homes of our eligible members, where available, providing them with choice and flexibility over where they receive their treatment.
No, the main reason premiums are increasing is the rising cost of healthcare and an increase in the frequency of Australians seeking treatment. Medibank’s premiums need to keep pace with these costs to maintain the quality of cover and continue to meet our members' healthcare needs.
No, we’ve paid dividends for many years. The difference is that instead having of one shareholder, the Australian Government, we now have many shareholders.
The Government reforms introduced in April this year have been designed to make the private health system simpler, easier to understand and more affordable for all Australians.
Medibank made the decision to adopt all the Government’s optional reforms because it was the right thing to do.
This includes giving customers the option to increase their excess to $750 to reduce their premium. It also means introducing a discount of up to 10% for young adults.
The cost of delivering healthcare costs in Australia continues to rise, largely driven by more frequent and more expensive hospital admissions and a population that is getting older.
Things you should know
⁺ OSHC members should call the Student Health and Support Line on 1800 887 283.
* Must be 18 years or over and have a valid Australian residential address to register for Medibank Live Better. Must be a Medibank member with hospital cover, extras cover, or hospital and extras cover, be up-to-date with premium payments and have signed up to Medibank Live Better with ‘My Medibank’ or have linked their MyMedibank account with their Live Better account to redeem rewards. Excludes Overseas Visitor health cover, Working Visa health cover, Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC), Ambulance only cover, ahm covers and other selected covers. Additional terms and conditions may apply to the redemption of a reward depending on the type of reward chosen. See full Medibank Live Better terms here.
^ Claims for some types of services/items excluded. Some claims, like paper based, may take longer to update.
Our team of experts are ready to help!
Fill in the form below or get in touch by calling our dedicated line 1300 110
We are open on Sundays.
In providing your telephone number, you consent to Medibank contacting you about health insurance.
We'll have someone call you soon to help with any questions you have.
Or, check out our FAQs and guides to help get you started.