Granola is a wonderfully filling winter breakfast option. Pair this heartily spiced mix with some fresh fruit and yoghurt or sprinkle it on top of your porridge for some crunch. Granola also makes a great portable snack for when you are out playing winter sports or enjoying some winter bushwalking.
What to do
1. Preheat your oven to 180°C and line a baking sheet with baking paper.
2. In a large bowl stir together oats, buckwheat, pecans, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, salt, and spices until well mixed.
3. In a small jug whisk together olive oil, honey and vanilla extract.
4. Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and mix carefully with a wooden spoon until the dry ingredients are thoroughly coated.
5. Spread granola over the lined baking sheet and press down slightly with the back of the spoon to encourage some clumping.
6. Bake in pre-heated oven for 35-40 minutes. Check and stir every 10 minutes to ensure the granola does not burn.
7. During the last ten minutes of cooking stir in the dried dates and coconut and return granola to oven.
8. Once cooked, remove from oven and allow to cool completely before serving or storing.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
Tip: To make vegan, use maple syrup instead of honey