Pizza Sofia Loren recipe
A classic Neapolitan pizza by the Melbourne chef crowned World Pizza Champion. Now this is going to be good.
• 60 g (2½ oz) eggplant (aubergine), cut into strips
• 2 roman tomatoes
• 1 tablespoon icing sugar
• 220 g (8 oz) pizza dough
• 100 g (3½ oz) Stracciatella cheese
• Drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
• Fresh oregano, chopped
1. Cut the eggplant into strips. Place in a baking tray, drizzle with oil and season. Bake at 130°C (266°F) for 15 minutes.
2. Cut each tomato into 6 pieces. Place in a baking tray and sprinkle with icing sugar. Bake for 30 minutes at 80°C (176°F) until soft.
3. Stretch the pizza dough into a round disk. Top pizza with half the Stracciatella and place the cooked eggplant and tomatoes, drizzle with some extra virgin olive oil and bake.
Domestic oven: bake for 10 minutes at 280°C (536°F)
Wood fire oven: 90 seconds at 400°C (752°F)
4. Once cooked sprinkle with fresh oregano and top with the remaining Stracciatella.
Recipe from World’s Best Pizza By Johnny Di Francesco, available now from New Holland Publishers.