Soak in the hot springs around Chiang Mai, elephant-trek through the north’s Golden Triangle, scale Krabi’s limestone cliffs and explore Koh Tao’s shallow coral reefs.
Renowned for its health retreats, Thailand is also a natural choice for travellers seeking personalised wellness programs and health treatments, and none are more revered than those at Chiva-Som.
Established 17 years ago, Chiva-Som has set the worldwide standard for luxury retreats and, for the sixth year running, was listed as the best overseas health and wellness property in Luxury Travel Magazines Gold List for 2012. Situated on the Gulf of Thailand in Hua Hin, Chiva-Som’s philosophy employs a holistic approach to health that incorporates mind, body and spirit.
A stay at Chiva-Som is as regimented or as relaxed as you make it. Guests visit for a variety of reasons including fitness, weight loss, stress relief, detoxifying, relaxation and rejuvenation. Included in your stay are three Spa Cuisine meals per night of your trip. Spa Cuisine involves preparing nutritious, low calorie meals packed with fresh herbs, local spices and delicate flavours. For people on specific retreats that focus on detoxifying, more structured meal plans are available to provide every opportunity to cleanse the body.
Daily activities are a big part of a stay at the resort, and along with daily massages and an arrival wellness consultation, guests participate in the resort’s leisure activities. From 7am to 7pm, Chiva-Som runs daily group fitness activities, including Tai Chi, daily stretch classes, aqua aerobics, reformer pilates and fitball classes.
Dr. Kampol, holistic health expert and practitioner, recommends Chiva-Som to anyone looking to make a positive change to their life. Here he shares his top 10 tips for achieving health and wellbeing.
1. Reduce Stress - Laugh more and think positive thoughts for at least 30 minutes a day and gradually build up time developing positive thought patterns on a daily basis.
2. Protect Yourself from Pollution - Keep plants in your home and office. If you can't live in a pollution-free environment, take regular trips to the country side.
3. Keep a Positive Mental Outlook - Smile, be happy and keep a cheerful outlook on life. Compliment someone, make others smile and never leave home without finding something about yourself to feel confident about.
4. Move More - Find ways to be as active as possible. Staying active doesn’t always mean dedicating hours at the gym; we can find simple ways to move our body in doing constructive and relaxing activities. Take the stairs, walk the dog, play with children and enjoy sports with friends.
5. Cut out Fat - Avoid the obvious such as fried foods, burgers and other fatty meats. Eat low fat versions of dairy products and avoid cream. Limit portions of nuts, mayonnaise, cold meats, butter, margarine and sauces and find healthier lower fat versions.
6. Avoid Alcohol - While you may be having a glass of wine or one drink every other day, always be mindful to allow your body to detox and recover more frequently. Excessive alcohol intake can depress the immune system over time and could lead to health problems such as liver and kidney disease and cancer.
7. Brush Your Teeth - Be confident with your smile especially when talking to others and don’t be afraid to laugh more. Brush and floss your teeth after each meal to maintain good oral and dental hygiene.
8. Make Something - Get your creative energy going by making things and developing your artistic side. Cook with new or old favourite recipes, build, paint, write, sew or recycle something.
9. Have a Smoothie - Be adventurous and enjoy the healthy delight of a vegetable smoothie. These are packed with antioxidants, vitamins and minerals and contain fiber to keep you regular and less prone to snacking as compared to the juice option.
10. Drink Water - Obvious, you might say, but you’d be surprised at how easily one dehydrates in heated and air conditioned environments. Try to include boiled water to clear your complexion or in the form of caffeine-free natural herbal teas.
Before you take your holiday visit Travel Doctor for health travel tips in Thailand tmvc.com.au
Insure your health when you travel with Medibank Travel Insurance.