Enter your postcode to find your nearest store to have a face-to-face chat!
Medically necessary ambulance services – am I covered?
What is covered?
Where you need an ambulance and your medical condition is such that you can’t be transported any other way, you’ll be covered for services provided by a Medibank approved ambulance provider:
- ambulance transportation to a hospital or other approved facility is required to receive immediate professional attention
- when an ambulance is called to provide immediate professional attention but transport by ambulance is not needed
- when, as an admitted patient, the hospital requires you to be transferred from one hospital to another (excluding transfers between public hospitals)
- for transport by air ambulance, where pre-approval has been obtained from Medibank by the air ambulance provider.
What is not covered?
Medibank does not pay benefits for any ambulance service that has not been defined under ‘What is covered?’. This includes:
- ambulance services where immediate professional attention is not required (e.g. general patient transportation)
- any ambulance transport required after discharge from hospital (e.g. transport from hospital to home)
- inter-hospital transfers when, as an admitted patient, you’re transferred from one public hospital to another public hospital
- any ambulance costs that are fully covered by a third party arrangement, such as an ambulance subscription or federal/state/territory ambulance transportation scheme, WorkCover or the Transport Accident Commission.
For more information call us on 134 190.
Our team of experts are ready to help!
Fill in the form below or get in touch by calling our dedicated line 1300 110
We are open on Sundays.
In providing your telephone number, you consent to Medibank contacting you about health insurance.
We'll have someone call you soon to help with any questions you have.
Or, check out our FAQs and guides to help get you started.