Stay healthy in your 50’s
Health tips for men in their 50's.
Life in your 50s might be busy, but now is an important make time to prioritise your health. Especially as your health risks increase, and you start to feel the physical effects of ageing.
Find out about the health trends of Aussie men in their 50s, get simple tips, and know the health checks you should tick off.
Subscribe to Live Better and receive our Sleep Guide FREE! As well as useful health tips and insights, expert advice, offers and promotions straight to your inbox each week.
How healthy are Aussies men in their 50’s?
According to the data in the Medibank Better Health Index*:
- 18.8% have high blood pressure. This is down from 21.6% in 2007-08.
- 10.5% have cancer.
- 13.1% suffer from anxiety. This is up from 7.3% in 2007-08. And 16.7% suffer from depression.
- 22.4% suffer from stress. This is up from 18.1% in 2007-08.
- 8.3% suffer from sleep disorders – higher than males in any other age group.
Tips for your 50s
- Visit your doctor (GP) for regular check-ups and screening.
- Enjoy some time out. Take a holiday or find a hobby you enjoy.
- Make exercise a priority. Find something that keeps you fit and feeling good, and helps keep your bones strong.
- Look after your mental health. Talk about your problems or concerns with a friend or family. See your GP or a psychologist if you think you might need professional help.
- Watch your drinking habits and remember it’s never too late to quit smoking.
- Maintain a healthy weight. Watch your food intake, prepare nutritious meals and eat lots of fruit and vegetables.
- Enjoy time with your family and friends.
Health checks to have now
- Check yourself. Here are some simple health checks you can do yourself at home.
- Visit your GP for a check-up and screening. If you’re over 50, a prostate examination may be recommended. Talk about any emotional concerns, anxiety, stress and depression you might be experiencing. Check for skin cancer.
- Screen for bowel cancer. Once you’re over 50, you should be screened every 2 years. Through the National Bowel Cancer Screening Program, many people 50 and over are automatically sent free FOBT kits.
- Keep your weight and waist in check. Measure your waist and check your BMI ensure you are at a healthy weight.
- Visit the dentist every 6 to 12 months. Or as recommended by your dentist. Good oral health not only contributes to a great smile, but also to your general health and wellbeing. If you are a Medibank member with extras cover you can get 100% back on your annual dental check-up, except x-rays, at a Members Choice dentist.
- Get your eyes tested regularly. In your 50's, you might notice your vision change, so it’s important to get your eyes tested, even if you’ve never had glasses before. If you have health insurance, check if you have optical cover. If you are a Medibank member you’ll get 100% back up to your annual limit for the cost of prescription glasses and sunglasses, contacts and more at any recognised optical provider Australia-wide.
* Roy Morgan age breakdown: private definition grouping 50-59 year olds. Research spanning July 2007 to June 2016.
Could worry be upsetting your stomach?Read more