Your 40’s are a busy time–you might be juggling work and family life and finding it hard to fit it all in–but you still need prioritise your health.
Find out about the health trends of Aussie men in their 40s, get simple tips, and know the health checks you should tick off.
How healthy are Aussies men in their 40s?
Aussie men are overweight and not moving enough. According to AIHW data 2 in 3 are overweight or obese and only 2 in 5 get enough exercise.
The data in the Medibank Better Health Index* also revealed that anxiety, depression and stress are on the rise in men aged 40 to 49. According to the data:
- 16.1% suffer from anxiety. This is up from 7% in 2007-08.
- 17.1% suffer from depression and this was higher than males in any other age group.
- 26.2% suffer from stress. This is up from 23.1% in 2007-08.
Tips for your 40s
- Look after your mental health. Talk about your problems or concerns with a friend or family. See your GP or a psychologist if you think you might need professional help.
- Enjoy some time out. Take a holiday or find a new hobby.
- Watch your drinking habits and quit smoking.
- Make exercise a priority. Find something that you enjoy and fits in with your schedule.
- Maintain a healthy weight. Watch your food intake, prepare nutritious meals and eat lots of fruit and vegetables.
- Enjoy time with your family and friends.
Health checks to have now
- Visit your GP for a check-up. Talk to your doctor about your family history, your lifestyle and other medical conditions to find out what you should be tested and screened for. Mention if you have a family history of any type of cancer. Talk about any emotional concerns, anxiety, stress and depression you might be experiencing.
- Check yourself. Examine your testicles for lumps or bumps and if you feel anything unusual get it checked out immediately and check your skin for unusual moles or freckles. Do these simple health checks yourself at home.
- Keep your weight and waist in check. Measure your waist and check your BMI ensure you are at a healthy weight.
- Visit the dentist every 6 to 12 months. Or as recommended by your dentist. Good oral health not only contributes to a great smile, but also to your general health and wellbeing. If you are a Medibank member with extras cover you can get 100% back on your annual dental check-up, except x-rays, at a Members Choice dentist.
- Get your eyes tested regularly. In your 40s, you might notice your vision change, so it’s important to get your eyes tested, even if you’ve never had glasses before. If you have health insurance, check if you have optical cover. If you are a Medibank member you’ll get 100% back up to your annual limit for prescription glasses and sunglasses, contacts and more at any recognised optical provider Australia wide.
* Roy Morgan age breakdown: private definition grouping 40-49 year olds. Research spanning July 2007 to June 2016