Recipe ideas during pregnancy: Zucchini and mint soup
Quick and healthy recipe ideas for pregnancy.
Cooking can feel like the last thing you want to do while pregnant and most recipes look overwhelming. But it’s important to prepare fresh meals because what you eat during pregnancy matters. Try this light and refreshing soup with a minty pop of flavour that’s easy to prepare.
1⁄4 cup cold-pressed extra-virgin olive oil (plus extra to drizzle if you like)
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 leeks, pale part only, sliced
6 zucchini, sliced
1⁄2 teaspoon chilli flakes
1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
Himalayan salt and ground pepper
4 cups organic chicken stock (or replace with vegetable stock to make vegetarian)
1⁄3 cup mint leaves, finely chopped + extra leaves (to serve)
2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, crumbled (to serve)
2 tablespoons roughly chopped almonds (to serve)
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat and cook the garlic and leeks for 5 minutes, or until softened. Add the zucchini, chilli flakes, coriander, cumin, salt and pepper and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and enough water to cover the vegetables, then bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes or until the zucchini is tender.
- Using either a stick blender or food processor, blend the soup until smooth. Stir through the chopped mint.
- To serve, scatter the extra mint leaves, parmesan cheese and almonds over the soup. Season and drizzle the soup with olive oil, if desired.
What you eat while you’re pregnant is important. If you need some support in choosing the right foods, speak to your doctor or visit an accredited dietitian for a tailor-made eating plan. You can claim benefits towards dietitian consultations with Medibank’s Growing Family Extras packages. Or read more articles on diet and taking care of yourself during your pregnancy.
Recipe from The Healthy Life by Jessica Sepel, available now from Pan Macmillan Australia.
Dietitian Melanie McGrice explains howRead more