- It's important that the pan/BBQ is very hot to create a good seal. Otherwise if it's not hot enough it will start to stew and end up tough. Big no no.
- For rare cook 1-2 minutes each side, medium rare 2-3 minutes each side, medium 3-4 minutes each side, medium well 4-5 minutes each side, well done 5-6 minutes (if still not well done, put it in the oven for 5 minutes then rest for at least 5-6 minutes). These times will vary depending on the thickness of your steak.
- To check how well it's cooked, you can push the middle of your steak with your finger. If it's very soft it'll be rare; if it's springy it'll be closer to medium; if it's firm it'll be closer to well done.
- If you have a temperature probe, check the internal temperature in the middle or thickest part of steak for well doneness. Rare 52-55°C, medium rare 55-60°C, medium 60-65°C, medium well 65-69°C, well done 70°C.
- Scotch fillet is my personal favourite (so is flank!). You can use any steak cut you want.
- All steaks will come in different sizes and thicknesses so just adjust your cooking time to suit your steak. Always always rest the steak after cooking!
- Use any miso paste you want. Genmai miso (which is used here) is made from fermenting soy beans and brown rice.