Enter your postcode to find your nearest store to have a face-to-face chat!
Is the No Gap Joint Replacement Program right for me?
There are several steps to consider including eligibility, the medical advice from your GP, and alternative non-invasive treatment options that might be right for you.
Get a referral from your GP to see a participating surgeon included in the list below.
Contact a participating surgeon to book an initial outpatient consultation. This appointment will incur out-of-pocket costs.
The surgeon will assess you to determine the next steps. It's important to note, that in some cases surgery is not the most appropriate action and therefore the surgeon may recommend alternatives to surgery.
If surgery is the next step, the surgeon will then discuss the No Gap Joint Replacement Program and if you are a clinically appropriate candidate. The surgeon and hospital will have the final say if you are appropriate for the program or not.
If clinically appropriate, the surgeon's rooms will organise the surgery booking with the hospital, which will also include scheduling pre-operative patient education.
Eligible members could pay no out-of-pocket costs^ on the following services as part of their hospital admission for knee or hip joint replacement surgery#:
- Pre-admission joint school.
- Joint replacement surgery with a participating surgeon, including your prosthesis (artificial joint).
- Anaesthetist costs.
- Assistant surgeon costs.
- Hospital accommodation, including all theatre costs.
- Diagnostic tests (scans and blood tests).
Call us to get started
Our Medibank Health Support team is on hand to answer enquiries about the program, including eligibility and participating surgeons.
Call us between 9am and 5pm AEST weekdays.
As a Medibank member, you get more than just health insurance. We deliver a range of health and wellbeing programs to help you achieve better health.
Things you should know
* Providers listed here are orthopaedic surgeons who are participating in the no gap joint replacement program at participating hospitals. The surgeon and hospital will work with you to decide if the program is right for you and your health needs. However, if the surgeon refers you to a non-participating hospital and/or the program is not otherwise right for your health needs, any such procedure will not be part of the no gap joint replacement program and you may incur out-of-pocket costs.
The listing of a provider does not comprise any sort of representation or recommendation by Medibank regarding the provider. To the fullest extent allowed by law, such reference should not be construed as:
- an endorsement by Medibank; or
- commendation for the status of the provider’s registration with their registration bodies like the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA); or
- a recommendation or warranty by Medibank of, for or in relation to the provider’s services.
Accordingly, Medibank neither takes nor assumes any responsibility for the services provided. Members should rely on their own enquiries and seek any assurance or warranties directly from the provider in relation to the service or with the registration bodies (e.g. AHPRA) regarding any conditions or restrictions to the provider’s registration.
Information presented is refreshed regularly. Information is accurate at time of publishing.
^ There may be out-of-pocket expenses associated with outpatient appointments, such as your initial visit with a participating surgeon in their consulting rooms. An excess or per day payment may still be payable, depending on the product a member has chosen and whether they are claiming under their hospital cover for the first time in a calendar year.
# Excludes joint replacements resulting from an emergency admission.
Our team of experts are ready to help!
Fill in the form below or get in touch by calling our dedicated line 1300 110
We are open on Sundays.
In providing your telephone number, you consent to Medibank contacting you about health insurance.
We'll have someone call you soon to help with any questions you have.
Or, check out our FAQs and guides to help get you started.