Enter your postcode to find your nearest store to have a face-to-face chat!
Private health insurance generally consists of hospital cover and extras cover, but what's the difference between the two? Below is a general walkthrough of hospital cover and extras cover.
What is hospital cover?
Hospital cover can pay towards services you receive when you’re admitted to hospital and treated as a private patient. It can’t pay towards any services when you’re not admitted to hospital (e.g. seeing your GP or specialist).
With hospital cover, if you're an Australian resident with private health insurance, you can choose to be treated as a private patient at either a private or public hospital (provided the service is included under your cover and you have served your waiting periods), or a public patient at a public hospital.
If you're a private patient at a private hospital, you may also have more choice as to when you're admitted to hospital. If you are a private patient in a public hospital, the hospital waiting lists still apply for elective surgery.
There may still be out-of-pocket costs depending on things like the hospital you're admitted to and what services are included or restricted under your cover.
With private health insurance it's always best to contact your private health insurer before arranging treatment to find out what they pay towards the treatment, and whether there will be out-of-pocket expenses related to your treatment.
What are some the benefits of Medibank hospital cover?
- Accident cover boost: With our Accident cover boost, you’ll be eligible for top hospital benefits if you have an Accident, regardless of your level of cover.~
- Unlimited Emergency Ambulance: Hospital cover that gives you more with unlimited emergency ambulance*.
- 24/7 Medibank Nurse: Members with hospital cover can call our phone service to speak to a Medibank nurse about their health concerns at any time of the day or night3.
More information: Why Medibank?
What is extras cover?
Extras cover helps with the cost of services generally not covered by Medicare and focuses on keeping you on top of your health. Extras include things like dental, glasses, physiotherapy and a range of other services.
The extent of your cover depends on the type of policy you select and may include. For example: a yearly trip to the dentist is one of one of the most commonly used treatments.
There are limits that may apply, for example: a limit per service, per year, or lifetime limits. Some services may not be included at all. Get familiar with your policy so you know what your cover includes.
What are some of the benefits of Medibank extras cover?
- 100% back on up to two dental check-ups at a Members’ Choice Advantage dentist every calendar year, including x-rays#. 2 month waiting period applies. Find out more.
- 100% back on optical: See better value with 100% back on optical items at all recognised providers up to annual limits. Some lens coatings excluded.1
- Members' Choice Network: with over 13,000 providers, it's the largest in Australia. At these health providers, we've negotiated great deals for Medibank members including capped pricing and a set percentage return for certain services. You'll generally have lower out-of-pocket costs than you would if you used a provider outside our network.
More information: Is Extras Cover worth it?
Ready to get started?
Canstar awarded ‘Outstanding Value Insurance’ 12 years in a row
We’re proud to deliver outstanding value health insurance products designed to suit your needs. But don’t just take our word for it.
What are the common hospital procedures for someone like you?
Our interactive tool reveals the common procedures, what you might pay out-of-pocket and how health insurance could help manage the costs.
How much extra tax could you pay without hospital cover?
Use the Medicare Levy Surcharge Calculator to find out if you're eligible, or discover how much extra tax you may be paying by not having Hospital cover for a full tax year.²
Thing you need to know
~ For Accidents that occur after your cover starts and for which treatment is sought within 7 days. Excludes claims covered by third parties such as WorkCover and our Private Room Promise. Out of pockets may apply.
* Waiting periods apply. For ambulance attendance or transportation to a hospital where immediate medical attention is required and your condition is such that you couldn't be transported any other way. TAS and QLD have State schemes that cover ambulance services for residents of those States.
1 6 month waiting period applies.
# Limited to two dental check-ups on all extras annually. Maximum two bitewing x-rays per check-up, where clinically needed. Not available in all areas.
3 OSHC members should call the Student Health & Support Line on 1800 887 283.
2 This calculation is a guide only. For a more detailed quote of what you might pay we recommend speaking to a financial advisor who will be able to take into account your income and personal situation. Where annual income for Medicare Levy Surcharge purposes is over $90,000 as a single (or $180,000 as a couple/family).
Our team of experts are ready to help!
Fill in the form below or get in touch by calling our dedicated line 1300 110
We are open on Sundays.
In providing your telephone number, you consent to Medibank contacting you about health insurance.
We'll have someone call you soon to help with any questions you have.
Or, check out our FAQs and guides to help get you started.