3 large handfuls of basil leaves, torn
4 garlic cloves (4–5 if they are small cloves), roughly chopped
1 large or 2 small lemons, finely grated and juiced
3–4 medium or 6 small zucchini
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil, plus 1 tablespoon extra
freshly ground black pepper
125 g parmesan, coarsely grated
400 g pasta of your choice
1. Bring large pot of water to the boil.
2. Add the basil and garlic to the mortar and pestle and crush together.
3. Slowly add the olive oil into the mortar while pounding the mixture.
4. Pound the mixture until it is a coarse paste, then add the lemon rind, lemon juice and half the parmesan. Mix thoroughly.
5. Season to taste with salt and pepper, remembering that pasta sauce needs to be well seasoned. Set aside.
6. Finely slice the zucchini.
7. Add the pasta to the boiling salted water to cook.
8. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large frying pan.
9. Stir in the zucchini and a pinch of salt and pepper.
10. Cook zucchini for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
11. Add the garlic and basil sauce to the cooked zucchini.
12. Use tongs to add the cooked pasta directly from the pot to the pan and toss through, adding a small amount of pasta water if required.
13. Pour into serving platter and sprinkle with remaining parmesan.
This recipe is adapted from an original by Foster Primary School, Victoria.