To shine a light on changing health needs, Medibank has released data on the top five most common hospital claims for men by age.
Medibank Medical Advisor Dr Sue Abhary said that while men’s health was being discussed more frequently and openly than in the past, many may not be aware of exactly how their bodies are likely to change over time, and the health risks they may face in each stage of life.
“Our report shows a marked change in claiming patterns from the active men in their 20s needing shoulder and knee procedures, to Australia’s elder statesmen of 70 and up claiming for dialysis and rehabilitation,” said Dr Abhary.
Medibank data reveals that orthopaedics (musculoskeletal procedures such as hip, knee and shoulder surgeries) and gastrointestinal endoscopies (a procedure to view the oesophagus, stomach or colon) are among the most common hospital claims for men across almost all age groups. Other insights include:
- Dentistry, including wisdom teeth removal, was in the top 5 hospital claims for men in their 20s
- Psychiatry was in the top 3 claims for men in their 20s to 40s
- Drug and alcohol services were in the top 5 claims for men in their 30s
- Urology was in the top 5 claims for men in their 30s to 60s
- Rehabilitation was in the top 5 claims for men over 40
- Chemotherapy and radiotherapy were in the top 5 claims for men over 50
- Ophthalmology and renal dialysis appear in the top 5 claims for the first time in men over 70
“While data from the Australian Bureau of Statistics shows that Australian men are living longer than ever before, they’re still engaging more than woman in the riskier behaviour that can lead to chronic diseases – like smoking, alcohol consumption and weight gain leading to obesity. In our data that’s reflected by the fact that we see a lot of claims for drug and alcohol related services for men in their 30s," said Dr Abhari.
“our message to Australian men is ‘talk about your health and get help to maintain and improve your health at every stage of life’.
“Your GP can help you understand how your health needs will change and we can also help ensure you have the right insurance for your age.”