Your 20’s are a great time to take control of your health. This will keep you looking and feeling good, and help prevent serious health problems later in life, like heart disease.
But while you may feel healthy and full of energy now, you still need to keep on top of your health.
Learn about the health trends of Aussie men in their 20s, and get simple tips, and find out the health checks you should tick off now.
How healthy are Aussies men in their 20’s?
According to the data in the Medibank Better Health Index*:
- Anxiety is on the rise. Men in their 20s are more likely to suffer from anxiety than males in any other age group, at 19.6%. This has jumped from 6.8% in 2007-08.
- Stress is increasing. 24.4% also suffer from stress. This is up from 19.8% in 2007-08.
- Most drink alcohol. 60% have had an alcoholic drink in the last 7 days – less than males in all other age groups. They consume an average of 6.66 alcoholic drinks per week.
- A small percentage smoke. 12.6% of males aged 20-29 have smoked in the last day.
- Less than half are a healthy weight. 41.9% fall into the ‘Healthy’ BMI range, 32.7% fall into the ‘Overweight’ range, and 19.8% fall into the ‘Obese’ range. 5.6% fall into the ‘Underweight’ range.
Tips for your 20’s
- Find a doctor (GP) you feel comfortable with.
- Look after your mental health. Don’t be afraid to talk about your problems or concerns. Your friends might be going through the same thing. See your GP or a psychologist if you think you might need professional help.
- Watch your drinking habits and quit smoking.
- Keep active and find an exercise or sport you enjoy.
- Eat well and maintain a healthy weight. Learn to cook and get into the habit of preparing nutritious meals. Eat lots of fruit and vegetables.
- Look after your skin to avoid skin cancer and check any changes with your doctor.
- Practice safe sex–use a condom.
Health checks to have now
- Visit your GP for a check-up. Talk to your doctor about your family history, your lifestyle and other medical conditions, to find out what you should be tested and screened for.
- Visit the dentist every 6 to 12 months. Or as recommended by your dentist. Good oral health not only contributes to a great smile, but also to your general health and wellbeing. If you are a Medibank member with extras cover you can get 100% back on your annual dental check-up, except x-rays, at a Members Choice dentist.
- Regularly check your skin for unusual moles or freckles. See your doctor if you notice anything unusual. If you are at high risk – for example, you work outdoors, visit your doctor or dermatologist for a yearly examination.
- Get your eyes tested regularly. If you have health insurance, check if you have optical cover. If you are a Medibank member you’ll get 100% back up to your annual limit for the cost of prescription glasses and sunglasses, contacts and more at any recognised optical provider Australia-wide.
- Make sure you are up to date with your immunisations. If you are planning on travelling, make sure you have the recommended vaccinations before you go.
* Roy Morgan age breakdown: private definition grouping 20-29 year olds. Research spanning July 2007 to June 2016